Around town

Wednesday, Oct. 21

“”The Good Girls.”” Also known as “”Les Bonnes Femmes,”” this 1960 French New Wave classic was directed by Claude Chabrol, who also directed 1968’s “”Bad Girls.”” Guess his opinion changed in eight years. 7 p.m. The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd. $6 general admission; $4.75 for Loft members.

Mean Beans, Ethos and Vine Street. Your weekly dose of weirdly-named bands at Plush. One week, the program will just read “”Jones, Smith and Adams.”” Doors open at 9 p.m. Plush, 340 E. Sixth St. $5.

Thursday, Oct. 22

Mozart. He’s on the program at the UA Wind Ensemble and Wind Symphony’s second concert; sadly, “”Rock Me Amadeus”” isn’t. Also included are works by Kurt Weill and Dmitri Shostakovich. 7:30 p.m. Crowder Hall. $5.

Art.if.fact. This newly formed dance project performs at 7:30 p.m. today and Friday. We include this partly because it sounds cool and partly because “”Art.if.fact”” is just fun to type. Stevie Eller Dance Theatre, 1713 E. University Blvd. $20 general admission; $12 for students.

Friday, Oct. 23

“”The Diary of Anne Frank.“” You read the book in high school, now see the play. Or rather, you should have read the book, unless you were in that weird class that spent the whole year analyzing “”Lord of the Flies.”” Arizona Repertory Theatre’s production of the classic continues today, Saturday and Sunday, the last day. 7:30 p.m. Friday and Sunday, 1:30 p.m. Sunday. Tornabene Theatre. $28 general admission, $26 with senior or military discount, $19 with student discount.

Poetry Reading: Juliana Spahr. This poet works in a genre known as ecopoetics, which she describes as follows: “”A poetics full of systemic analysis and critique that questions the divisions between nature and culture while also acknowledging that humans use up too much of the world.”” But you already knew that, right? 8 p.m. UA Poetry Center. Free.

Mark Growden with Marianne Dissard. Judging from his MySpace page, this singer sure likes having himself dramatically photographed, hands in pockets, in front of blurry buildings. But he’s probably good anyway. All ages. 9 p.m. Solar Culture, 31 E. Toole Ave. $7.

Saturday, Oct. 24

Why? “”What’s the name of the band?”” “”No, ‘Why?’ is the name of the band.”” “”Why is the name of the band, what?”” “”No, ‘what’ is not the name of the band. ‘Why?’ is the name of the band.”” “”I give up, why is the name of the band?”” “”Now you’ve got it.”” “”I have?”” With Au and Serengeti & Polyphonic. All ages. Doors open at 6 p.m. Hotel Congress, 311 E. Congress St. $12.

Fourth Annual Zombie Walk. The only place in town where you can dress like a zombie and collect canned goods for a food drive. Well, in theory you could do that anywhere, but this is the only place in town you’ll find a lot of people doing it at once. All ages. Visit www.tucsonzombies.com for more information. 7 p.m. Stone Avenue and Franklin Street. There’s also an after-party at Club Congress starting at 8 p.m., but it’s safe to say that if the world was hit by a comet tomorrow, there’d be an after-party at Club Congress that night.

George Lopez. You’ve seen the show, now see the man. 8 p.m. Tucson Music Hall, 260 S. Church Ave. Tickets range from $42 to $62; visit tickets.tucson.com for more information.

Sunday, Oct. 25

“”All’s Well That Ends Well.“” Yeah, right. This acclaimed version of the Shakespeare classic comes to Tucson beamed from London’s National Theatre. 1 p.m. Sunday, 7 p.m. Monday The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd. $15 general admission; $10 Loft members.

Blind Pilot. They hail from Oregon, just like all cool people. Or at least that’s what they tell you in Oregon. With The Low Anthem. Doors open at 8:30 p.m. Plush, 340 E. Sixth St. $10.

Monday, Oct. 26

“”Green Green Water.”” According to the UANews this documentary portrays how “”clean and green”” energy in the U.S. comes at the expense of devastated indigenous communities in Northern Manitoba. We’re sure that’s important and all, but don’t they ever make documentaries about kittens playing with crumpled-up pieces of paper? 7 p.m. – 9 p.m. Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering building, Room S202. Free.

Tuesday, Oct. 27

Art Brut. This English and German indie band are in town to promote their latest album, Art Brut vs. Satan. Since they’re still standing, we presume that Satan lost. With Princeton and R’Cougar. 7 p.m. Hotel Congress, 311 E. Congress St. $10 in advance; $12 day of show.

The Ditty Bops. If you love the Andrews Sisters, you’ll love this banjo-plucking duo from Los Angeles. If you don’t love the Andrews Sisters  well, jeez, what’s wrong with you? With The Silver Thread Trio, who are said to be influenced by Gillian Welch and The Carter Family. Doors open at 8:30 p.m. Plush, 340 E. Sixth St. $12 in advance; $14 day of show.

— compiled by Justyn Dillingham