Incoming freshman paid a Student Athletics fee. Now what?

Carmen Valencia
UA athletic director, Dave Heeke, gets interviewed by Alec White, a reporter for the Daily Wildcat, before the start of a press conference held on Tuesday, Jan. 16.

Click here to read more content from our 2018 Orientation Guide! 

Dave Heeke was hired as the new Arizona athletic director in February 2017. One of his first actions as AD was to institute a newer trend in college athletics: the student athletics fee.

The official Arizona Athletics website states the fee is to support “athletics programs, facilities and improvement of the student and fan experience.” 

The fee is $100 for incoming undergraduates and $50 for incoming graduate students. Graduate students have the option of opting out of the fee.

Paying the fee grants access to baseball, women’s basketball, beach volleyball, gymnastics, soccer, softball, swimming and diving, tennis, track and field and volleyball games. Admission to hockey games, as a club sport, is not included with the fee.

Related: Commentary – What does it mean to be a member of the ZonaZoo?

To attend football and men’s basketball, incoming students will still need to purchase a ZonaZoo membership. Those memberships come in three tiers. 

The Blue membership is $100 and includes football, but not men’s basketball. It also includes priority purchase for bowl game tickets and an official ZonaZoo t-shirt. 

The Red membership is $150 and grants access for both football and men’s basketball. Red membership holders also get an official ZonaZoo t-shirt and priority purchase for postseason tickets.

The White membership is only available to graduate students that have paid the athletic fee. It is $125, and grants access to both football and men’s basketball. White membership holders get an official ZonaZoo t-shirt and their family members can purchase tickets at the general ticket price. 

Students enrolled at the UA before fall 2017, who will not be paying the athletics fee, will still need to purchase a ZonaZoo pass for access to any of the listed sports, as Red and Blue memberships also include access to other sports.

Follow Marissa Heffernan on Twitter