Greek Life holds CATwalk race to benefit Arizona Cancer Center

Annie Marum
Amy Webb/ Arizona Daily Wildcat Students and community members participate in the 2011 Catwalk Sunday morning. The event included a 5k walk and run, as well as a 10k run. The Catwalk was put on by Greek Life to raise money for the Arizona Cancer Center.

More than 3,000 UA community members participated in CATwalk, Greek Life’s 10th annual philanthropy event, on Sunday to raise money for cancer research.

The event, held on the UA Mall, raised $57,000 as of press time for cancer research, education and prevention for the Arizona Cancer Center. CATwalk is the only “all Greek” philanthropy event where all members of Greek Life must participate in some facet, according to Sarah Smith, the vice president of programming for the Panhellenic Council.

“All chapters could volunteer as much or as little as they wanted to,” she said. “We wanted them to commit to some part in an easy and affordable way.”

Prizes were awarded to raffle participants, as well as the top man and woman in the 10-km race. All those who registered for the event were automatically enrolled in the raffle, according to Smith, and prizes included gift cards, iPads, Nike bags and spa services, among others.

“Lots of people stepped up and donated this year,” Smith said.

Although students attended to represent their respective greek organizations, many of them were also representing family members affected by cancer.

Jose Guadalupe Conchas, a political science sophomore and a member of the Sigma Lambda Beta multicultural fraternity, said he felt a personal connection to the walk’s cause because his mother has been diagnosed with cervical cancer.

“Cancer is a really drastic disease, and a lot of people in this world are affected by it,” he said.

In addition, Conchas said he enjoyed attending because he was able to come together with his fellow fraternity members to partake in community service.

“We (the fraternity) advocate for the community, and we really, really enjoy motivating people,” he said. “I’m hoping to raise as much money as possible.”

Anthony Martinez, a science education freshman and a member of the Delta Lambda Phi fraternity, said in addition to attending a “fun event,” he was happy to support the cause because his mother overcame breast cancer.

“Her cancer was eye-opening for me,” he said. “I didn’t like seeing her be scared.”

Martinez added that his fraternity tries to participate in as many events as it can, especially service projects such as CATwalk.

The walk also had entertainment, free food and information about women’s cancers. Vendors included Eegee’s, Sunflower Farmers Market, Tucson Chiropractors, Salon Nouveau and The Running Shop. Registration for the walk was $25 per person, and came with a CATwalk T-shirt.

Other students attended to support cancer research and enjoy a morning out with friends.

“Keep it up,” “you can do it” and “you’re almost done” were just some of the chants public health junior and Theta Nu Xi multicultural sorority member Erica Aguirre shouted to CATwalk runners as they passed by.

“We brought our sisters and brothers to cheer people on, motive and unite,” she said.

Aguirre explained that as a first-year CATwalk participant, it “felt good” to attend with her sorority, who she said “loves this cause.”

“It’s just a really good thing to do,” she added.

Jen Best, a junior studying family studies and human development, said the event allowed her to positively represent Greek Life and support cancer awareness. She said that because cancer runs in her family, she participates in many cancer-related events, including the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure.

“I like helping out for a good cause,” she said.