Fashion Facts

There is always one item of clothing that transfers easily into any season – jeans. This week, Fashion Facts caught up with a few students who put their own spin on classic denim.

Photos by Jacob Rader

“”Laid back and fun.”” That’s how psychology junior Kelli McFarland described her personal style.

McFarland, whom you would never find in a pair of khakis, was showing off did-it-herself cut-off $120 Big Star jeans on the UA Mall.

“”They have lasted me a crazy amount of years,”” McFarland said.

If you don’t look good in your jeans and you don’t feel confident, McFarland asked, “”Then why spend any money on them?””

McFarland admitted to not washing her jeans every day, but added that she is a clean person.

“”If no one puts beer or throw up on them, I won’t wash them the next day,”” McFarland said.

Physiology sophomore Nate Hill would say he was trendy if someone asked him about his personal style.

A bargain shopper, Hill scored these dark wash denim jeans for only $6 at the Gap.

“”I would spend no more than $30 (on a pair of jeans),”” Hill said. “”I usually get them on sale.””

Hill said he goes two weeks before washing a pair of his jeans, but “”that’s not wearing them every day.””

Hill owns between five or six pairs of jeans and said he would describe himself as a “”jean guy.””

“”Jeans go with a lot more things than khakis do,”” Hill said.

“”I don’t like them too baggy and my legs are really long so they have to be long jeans,”” he added.

Evan Friedmann, a junior majoring in optical sciences and engineering, was rocking his ripped $150 7 For All Mankind jeans on the Mall. Friedmann said he goes up to a week before washing his favorite pair.

“”I seem to destroy all of my jeans and the quicker I wash them, the more they get destroyed,”” Friedmann said.

Friedmann described his personal style as crazy, and said he was interested in items with skulls on them as well as painted and ripped items.

“”I want to come off as creative and interesting and different,”” Friedmann said.

You will never see this student in a pair of tight-fitting jeans.

“”I would not wear really tight jeans because it’s a pain in the ass to get them on and off,”” Friedmann said.

The most important thing for a pair of jeans to have is a soft denim fabric that fits well, said Friedmann. “”That’s all that matters.””