“UPDATED: Giffords still in serious condition, but responsive to doctors after shooting”

Dr. Michael Lemole, UMC chief of neurosurgery, said he is “”cautiously optimistic”” about Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords’ recovery in the wake of yesterday’s shootings.

Lemole said “”brain swelling is really the biggest threat at this point.”” 

Giffords is currently in a medically induced coma and cannot open her eyes or speak. She is on a ventilator. The bullet hit the left side of her brain which, Lemole says, controls ability to speak and follow simple commands in most people.

Giffords is able to follow simple commands which indicates higher brain function. Simple commands include being able to squeeze her hand or hold up two fingers. Blood transfusions have worked also well. 

“”We take those kind of simple commands for granted but they imply a very high level of functioning in the brain,”” Lemole said. 

The regional office of the American Red Cross is asking people to donate blood in light of the shooting.

The other patients who came in were transferred to ward status and Dr. Peter Rhee, UMC trauma medical director says they are extremely happy with the prognosis of the other patients. 

“”I never thought I would experience something like this in my own backyard,”” Rhee said.

As of 1:05 p.m. UMC officials are confirming that three patients remain in serious condition, with six others in fair condition. 9-year old Christina Greene was pronounced dead on arrival yesterday and doctors were unable to resuscitate her.

Colette Morkhan, caregiver and patient caretaker at UMC stopped outside of the hospital to leave a candle for those victims of the shooting.

“”I think its horrible. I agree with the Sheriff the hate talk on the radio has got to stop,”” Morkhan said.