CatTunes: Songs for summer sayonaras

It’s the last day of classes before summer — or graduation for some — so the Arts & Life staff decided to pick out a handful of tracks for the impending goodbyes.

‘Ramble On’
    Led Zeppelin

With guitar riffs that are distinctly Jimmy Page and almost as many allusions to J.R.R. Tolkien’s “The Lord of the Rings” as the feature film, “Ramble On” remains on Rolling Stone’s list of the “500 Greatest Songs of All Time,” and for good reason. But what’s more is that the 1969 four-minute-plus track has a great lead-in to a ramblin’ chorus that’s perfectly set for a goodbye: “Now it’s time for me to go, the autumn moon lights my way / For now I smell the rain, and with it, pain / And it’s headed my way / Aw, sometimes I grow so tired, but I know I’ve got one thing I got to do.” It’s an ode to aimlessness and adventure, and perfect for swinging into summer.

‘Go Your Own Way’
    Fleetwood Mac

The 1977 track off of the exalted Rumours album is a perfect reflection of how the end of the semester feels (an appropriate nod to the drama that surrounded the release of the album, with a band then close to saying goodbye to each other). A seemingly simple close to four-minute marvel penned by Lindsey Buckingham, “Go Your Own Way” works both as a way to say goodbye to a person or place you love, and as a call for movement to an independent future. “You can go your own way, go your own way / You can call it another lonely day / You can go your own way, go your own way.”

‘Never Can Say Goodbye’
    The Jackson 5

A nostalgic song both in lyric and in style, “Never Can Say Goodbye” is a five-voice musical farewell marking the end of a relationship. But it can be applied to the end of an era as well: “Then you try to say you’re leaving me / And I always have to say no / Tell me why is it so / That I never can say goodbye.”

With covers by a variety of artists including Gloria Gaynor, Sonny and Cher and Vanessa Williams, this song won’t ever die ­— and remains perfect for those who can never say goodbye, only see you later. And that’s not such a bad thing at the end of the year either.

‘Don’t Forget to Remember Me’
    Carrie Underwood

This is song perfect for bittersweet goodbyes — and even more appropriate for those old folks who won’t be going back home every spring, summer and fall after this semester ends. Sometimes the lyrics say it all, and the ones in “Don’t Forget to Remember Me” sound like a classic goodbye with parents letting go and children growing up: “Tell my baby sister I’ll see her in the fall / And tell me-maw that I miss her / Yeah, I should give her a call / And make sure you tell Daddy that I’m still his little girl / Yeah I still feel like I’m where I’m supposed to be / Don’t forget to remember me.”