Arizona softball 5-0 at Arizona Fall Classic

UA softball went 5-0 at the Arizona Fall Classic, beating New Mexico 8-0 Friday, South Mountain 8-0 and Central Arizona 13-2 Saturday and Cypress 10-2 and Pima 6-1 Sunday.

“I thought we did a good job,” head coach Mike Candrea said. “The one thing I wanted today was to come out and play the game with a little bit of urgency, and I like this team. I like our young kids, they work hard, they’re making good adjustments on the field.”

Sophomore catcher Chelsea Goodacre led the way for the Wildcats against the Aztecs with an RBI double and a two run home run, her third of the weekend. Senior third basemen Brigette Del Ponte had an RBI double and two singles, going 3-3.

“I think we grew a lot over the weekend,” Goodacre said. “Today, our first game was a little bit slow on the hitting side and then came back in that second game, and just … we wanted to win and showed that passion, and I think that’s what gave us a good game.”

Junior utility Alex Lavine went 3-3 against Pima and scored a run. Lavine bunted herself on base twice and stole a base.

Candrea was impressed with Del Ponte, Goodacre and Lavine especially, but the best part of the team’s play was the different players stepping up each game.

Despite giving up the home run, freshman Nancy Bowling pitched well, striking out nine in five innings and allowing four hits.

Arizona opened up play on Sunday with its win over Cypress.

“What I was really impressed with was the adjustments we made in the game,” Candra said. “Even our young kids were doing some good stuff.”

UA beat Cypress on a two RBI walk off double by freshman third baseman Lauren Young with the bases loaded in the bottom of the fifth. Young cleared the bases thanks to a throwing error by the Cypress left fielder.

Young had a single and scored a run earlier. Del Ponte had two hits, including an RBI double. Freshman right fielder Gabbie Sandstedt also had a two run RBI double.

Sophomore shortstop Shelby Pendley had an RBI single.

“The foundation’s there, now it’s a matter of going to work and getting hungry and having productive practices, and I think this team will,” Candrea said.

On Saturday, the Wildcats won both games with walk off home runs. Del Ponte finished off South Mountain with a solo shot and Goodacre beat Central with a grand slam.

Bowling struck out 11 of the South Mountain batters she faced, including nine in a row at one point. Junior Estela Piñon struck out two in one inning of relief against SMCC.

“I am very proud of Nancy, [Estela] and Babcock, all three of them,” Goodacre said. “I think they did a phenomenal job, they’ve been working really hard and I’m really excited to see where they can take us.”

Piñon started against Central Arizona, throwing three perfect innings. Babcock came in to relieve her and extended the perfect game into the fifth, but Central ended it with a walk and single.

Goodacre hit two home runs, both against Central. The first drove in three runners.

“I worked really hard over the summer,” Goodacre said. “I didn’t like the way we ended last year so I worked my butt off, and it shows that it’s working.”

Del Ponte was 4-for-5 on the day with a home run and a double.

The UA opened the Arizona Fall Classic with an 8-0, five inning win over New Mexico Friday. The Wildcats earned the walk off, mercy rule win when the Lobos committed a bases loaded error.

Goodacre and sophomore shortstop Shelby Pendley each hit home runs.

Babcock and Piñon combined to two hit New Mexico. Babcock threw four innings of one hit ball and Piñon pitched the final inning.

Freshman second baseman Mandie Perez had a double, Del Ponte led UA with two hits and Goodacre led the Wildcats with two RBI.

Arizona will next host the National Pro Fastpitch All-Stars on Oct. 24.