Soccer splits trip

The No. 17 Arizona soccer team kicked off its pursuit of a third-straight postseason appearance this weekend, splitting games at Oakland and Michigan.

After taking down the Grizzlies (1-1-0) 2-1 on Friday behind sophomore forward Gianna DeSaverio’s two goals, the Wildcats (1-1-0) fell 1-0 in double overtime to the Wolverines (1-0-1) yesterday.

“”I think it was a decent way to start,”” UA head coach Dan Tobias said. “”The result was disappointing (yesterday), but I definitely think we are heading in the right direction.””

Despite a combined 33 shots on goal in regulation in yesterday’s contest – Arizona took 15 to the Wolverines’ 18 – the only goal of the game came from Michigan forward Judy Coffman in the second overtime.

“”I think (yesterday)’s game was unlucky,”” Tobias said. “”Michigan did a great job of absorbing our pressure.””

Sophomore goalie Chelsea McIntyre – playing in place of the injured McCall Smith – had seven saves in only her third career start.

“”She is a good goalkeeper and a hard worker,”” Tobias said. “”She did a good job, especially today.””

Forward Jasmine Namdar took six shots in the game, and sophomore London King, also a forward, had three. Three other Wildcats had at least one shot on goal.

Friday’s win was keyed by the play of DeSaverio, whose two first-half goals gave Arizona a lead it never relinquished when the Wildcats kept the Grizzlies at bay in a scoreless second half.

DeSaverio struck early, taking a pass from midfielder Lindsay Lum, and burying it at the 50-second mark in the game.

Oakland midfielder Jessica Boyle knotted the game 20 minutes later, but DeSaverio put Arizona up for good with her second goal. It came six minutes before the half, this time on a feed from Namdar.

The Wildcats had only two shots on goal in the second half of the game.

McIntyre made four saves against the Grizzlies in her debut this weekend.

“”This early in the season we are not as sharp yet in attacking quality,”” Tobias said. “”We did a decent job of keeping the ball, but we need to work on our ability to put away our chances.

“”That is going to be a fun thing to watch evolve.””