Gogol Bordello will start wearing purple in Tucson

Gogol Bordello
    Gogol Bordello

Gogol Bordello is back, infiltrating the ears of gypsy-punk wannabes with Live From Axis Mundi, a compilation of BBC Sessions and demos with a DVD bonus. The band of raucous immigrants — most of them from Eastern Europe — formed in the Lower East Side of New York City in 1999. Since then, Gogol Bordello has been tearing up airwaves and stages across the world.

Live From Axis Mundi is a prime example of that. With Ukranian-born Eugene Hütz, the mustachioed face of Gogol Bordello, screaming accented insanities, the album ensures an unruly experience. Live From Axis Mundi is a Gogol enthusiast’s dream. Included are some of the band’s greatest hits, such as an acoustic version of “”Immigrant Punk”” and the hysterically cynical song “”American Wedding.”” The DVD also includes a concert — Live at Irving Plaza — as well as music videos, extra tracks and bonus material. Some of the material highlights Hütz’s intense theatrical presence. At one point he takes lights from the audience for a cigarette break on stage to the tune of “”Start Wearing Purple.””

But don’t take my word for it. Gogol Bordello will be in Tucson for an evening at the Rialto Theatre on Oct. 21. You might even “”Start Wearing Purple”” too, if Hutz breaks out the wine bottle for the occasion. If last year’s event was any indication of this year’s, then attendees are in for a head-banging time.

Attending a Gogol Bordello show means immersing yourself in an atmosphere of chaos and good company where music is at the forefront. With their new compilation and a slew of former hits, their return to Tucson will be met with excitement.

Gogol Bordello plays at The Rialto Theatre on Oct. 21, doors open at 7 p.m. and the show begins at 8 p.m. with the Apostle of Hustle. Tickets are $20 in advance online or $22 the day of the show.