Things to know today

Maybe you shouldn’t eat leafy greens

Arizona public health officials are advising residents not to eat fresh bagged spinach in the wake of an outbreak of E. Coli O157, a food-borne illness identified in 19 states. Although no Arizona cases have been confirmed, 109 people have gotten sick from the tainted spinach and one person has died. People who develop diarrhea or abdominal cramps after eating raw spinach should seek medical attention. The Food and Drug Administration expanded the warning yesterday, telling consumers not to eat any product with spinach, including salad greens.

Put away the swimsuits, unpack the skis

Students tired of the heat can start planning for winter early this year. Four ski resorts will be distributing winter vacation information on the UA Mall today from 8 a.m. until 3 p.m. The informative event is sponsored by the Arizona Surfers Club.

Happy Constitution Day

To mark yesterday’s Constitution Day, the video “”A Conversation on the Constitution: Judicial Independence,”” featuring Justices Anthony Kennedy and Stephen Breyer and retired Justice Sandra Day O’Connor, will be shown at the James E. Rogers College of Law in Room 146 today from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. Following the video, a panel featuring Arizona Supreme Court justices, a U.S. district judge and state Rep. Stephen Tully, majority leader, will discuss “”The Rights and Responsibilities of an Independent Judiciary,”” a discussion moderated by RonDell Anderson Jones, a distinguished visiting faculty fellow.