Admins may issue penalties for red tags

The Dean of Students Office is still unsure what kinds of consequences students will have to face next semester if they receive unruly gathering citations, also known as red tags.

The Dean of Students Office is collaborating with the Tucson Police Department and UA student representatives this month to create a program aimed to educate students that receive citations involved with alcohol or violence, said Veda Kowalski, associate dean of students.

“”There is a pilot program that will begin, we hope, in January of 2007,”” Kowalski said. “”Currently, we have plans to speak with some students to talk about the details of exactly what the program will do.””

Kowalski said the Office of the Vice Provost will be selecting a group of students to help determine the new policy this month.

The Dean of Students Office will aim to educate student red tag recipients on health and safety through a class, Kowalski said.

Ruben Valencia, a business junior, said students are getting double punishments for one crime if they are forced to deal with consequences from the Dean of Students’ Office in addition to the police department.

“”Dealing with the police department is stressful enough, without having to worry about the school’s version of discipline as well,”” Valencia said.

Speaking to hosts about responsible behavior in the Tucson community is a step toward decreasing the number of student-related crimes, Kowalski said.

There is an increase in pressure from Tucson neighborhood associations to do something about the disturbances caused by students, said Tucson Police Department officer Jaime Bradley.

“”We start to see an increase in red tags when school starts, especially during move-in weekend and the first couple of weekends in school,”” Bradley said. “”But we don’t target college kids, it just tends to be that college kids, as part of a lifestyle, have more parties.””

Action the UA may decide to take upon student violators would not affect how TPD currently handles red tags, which can include a class on alcohol and drug abuse and a fine of anywhere from $100 to $2,500 for a first offense, depending on the situation, Bradley said.

“”It’s a simple infraction, so it’s not something that will follow you around unless you fail to pay your fine,”” Bradley said, in which case the debt would be turned over to collections and may affect a credit report.

“”(The potential program) would be an additional action that the UA decides to do,”” Bradley said. “”We’re going to enforce the same way we’ve always done.””

According to the Student Code of Conduct, the Dean of Students Office reserves the right to pursue conduct violations that have occurred involving students on or off campus, Kowalski said.

“”We’re looking at off-campus extreme behavior in the community that places students at risks,”” Kowalski said.

Kowalski said the university are targeting students who host parties and serve alcohol to minors.

It is not yet known if Pima Community College will be following the UA’s footsteps in taking action, Bradley said.