Police Beat

Sorority Mustang vandalized

Police responded to a call of criminal and intentional damage at the Pi Beta Phi sorority, 1035 N. Mountain, on Sept. 2.

A woman called police after discovering that her 1999 Ford Mustang had been damaged. An unknown person had used a rock to dent the passenger door and shatter the closed window.

Friends of the woman said that they had seen the car around 11 p.m. and there was no damage to the vehicle. However, around 9:30 a.m. the woman saw that her car had been vandalized.

The woman said she had no problems with anyone and could not give police any possible suspect information. There were no fingerprints at the scene, and the rock, weighing approximately five pounds, was found in the driver’s seat. Police say the rock was taken from a landscape on the other side of the alley.

There was no other damage like this in the alley, and there are no suspects.

Dorm disputes turn personal
    Police responded to a public assistance/welfare check call Sept. 1 at Coronado Residence Hall, 822 E. Fifth St.

A residence assistant called police after a student locked himself in his room. The police were told that the student had been upset with issues concerning his suitemates. The student locked out his roommate and was very distraught and emotional, reports said. The student told others he was mad, because he believed his suitemates had gone through his belongings while he was not in the room.

A resident assistant had called police the day before concerning the same student. Previous reports say authorities were called because the student was “”not feeling well”” due to alcohol consumption. He was taken to University Medical Center for alcohol intoxication.

The student’s roommate said he had been “”acting weird”” all day and that he had drunk heavily the night before and ended up in the hospital. When the student’s roommate returned to their room, the student accused he and the other suitemates of going through his personal belongings.

The student became very upset and locked himself in the room. When his roommate attempted to talk to him or open the door, he slammed it in his face and locked it.

Police asked if the student’s behavior had changed since school began. The student’s roommate said that the student had begun drinking more often, and he even encountered his roommate “”drinking alcohol in their room a couple of times last week.”” The student did not threaten to harm anyone or himself.

When police made contact with the student, he was on the phone with his mother and had red, watery eyes, as though he had been crying. He ended the phone conversation and allowed officers to enter the room.

He told officers, “”I hate it here!”” referring to Coronado and began to cry. He said that he had no academic problems, but he did have problems with his suitemates. He told officers that they had gone through his belongings while he was in the hospital the night before, and he was missing a bottle of vodka.

The student also told officers that another person in the dorm had threatened him by saying, “”I don’t care how tall you are, I’ll kick your ass anytime.””

The student was given the number to Counseling and Psychological Services, referred to the Dean of Students Office and temporarily moved.

Man cited for shoplifting in UofA Bookstore
    Police responded to a shoplifting suspect at the UofA Bookstore, 1209 E. University Blvd., Sept. 1.

Officers met an employee of the bookstore outside where she was waiting for the suspect to exit the store. She informed officers that a man was seen on the store surveillance cameras placing a book from the store into his backpack and taking a pair of sunglasses off the rack, removing the tag and putting them on the collar of his shirt.

The suspect then exited the store without paying, and police made contact. The man was escorted to a conference room where he was read his Miranda rights and questioned.

He admitted to taking the sunglasses, saying that he had not paid for them because he did not have the money to do so. He also admitted to stealing the book because he “”needed something to read on the train to LA and didn’t have the money to pay for it.””

The man said that he was in town working with the Humane Borders group. Police searched his backpack and found 13 $100 bills. He told police that the money was for rent and living expenses.

The books and sunglasses were returned to the bookstore. The man was cited and released for shoplifting and warned against returning to the bookstore, because it would be considered trespassing.

Man detained on outstanding warrants
    A man was arrested for two misdemeanor warrants after police stopped him on charges of urinating in public last Monday.

While police were patrolling the area around First Street and Martin Avenue, they reported to a subject urinating in public. Police said the man had urinated on a building just west of the police stations.

After they made contact with him, he identified himself using a veteran’s card. After running his information, police were informed that the man was wanted for two misdemeanor warrants.

He was transported to the county jail and booked on the warrant charges.