UA women’s tennis rained out vs. ASU

The Arizona women’s tennis team took care of business on Saturday, defeating California State University-Northridge 7-0.

However, the real spotlight of the weekend was Sunday’s match-up against in-state rival ASU; unfortunately, it did not take place.

Although attempts were made by both teams to compete in spite of the rain, the match was ultimately canceled. Due to the fact that it was not an official Pacific 10 Conference match, but instead arranged through the UA and ASU, it will not be rescheduled.

“”We had our opportunities and sent a great message,”” said head coach Vicky Maes of her team’s short-lived play against the Sun Devils. “”Ultimately, it was what we were seeking to do.””

In preparation for Sunday’s ASU match, Maes sat out senior and team leader Danielle Steinberg on Saturday against Cal-State Northridge. Steinberg – who consistently plays in the No. 1 spot – was replaced by junior Ariane Masschelein.

“”We had Ariane play up [on Saturday], and she played a great match,”” said Maes. “”I felt like if I took out Dani I was making the younger kids step up for ASU. Going into today [Sunday], they were ready. Who knows if it hadn’t rained.””

Masschelein won her singles match against Northridge’s Evgeniya Vertsheva, rebounding from a first-set loss. The rest of her teammates followed suit in taking out their singles opponents, but Maes was more impressed with her players’ performances on the doubles front.

“”I was thrilled with the doubles (Saturday), thrilled with the doubles (Sunday),”” she said. “”ASU is a great doubles team, and we matched up well.””

Maes added although it was somewhat of a letdown, they were not able to complete their highly-anticipated ASU match and spirits among the team are high. In fact, she relishes her team’s disappointment, viewing it as proof of their progress.

“”What I really liked about the morale was that they were disappointed that they weren’t able to close off the match due to the weather,”” she said. “”… Before they would have been a little scared.””

The Wildcats will head out on the road to Texas next weekend to face Texas Tech and Rice University. However, Maes feels her team is ready for any challenge.

“”They are a great group and have really proven themselves to me,”” she said. “”I’m very confident we’re going to come back and play some really good matches.””