Arizona swimming wraps up dual meet season with sweep at ASU

The Arizona swimming and diving teams knocked off rival ASU at their last dual meet of the season on Saturday.

The women won 171.5 to 105.5 and the men 158.5 to 116.5.

Held at the Mona Plummer Aquatic Center in Tempe, Ariz., the meet began with a pair of Arizona victories in the 200y medley relay.

The UA women placed first and second in the event with the team of Bonnie Brandon, Emma Schoettmer, Katja Hajdinjak and Margo Geer touching the wall in 1:41.65, followed closely by the team of Alana Pazevic, Eve Sarris, Ashley Evans and Grace Finnegan, who finished in 1:43.31.

The men did the same as Mitchell Friedemann, Kevin Cordes, Andrew Porter and Brian Stevens earned the top spot with a time of 1:29.16, while Michael Sheppard, Kevin Steel, Renny Richmond and Jeff Amlee touched in 1:30.29.

In the third event, freshman Tjasa Oder ground out a win in the 1000y freestyle with a time of 9:55.21.

Brandon continued the onslaught as she won both the 200y freestyle and the 200y backstroke. She also collected the final individual victory of the day, the 200y individual medley with a time of 2:03.40.

The first individual victory on the men’s side went to Mitchell Friedemann, who finished the 100y backstroke in 48.23.

Cordes extended his unbeaten season in individual breaststroke events. The 20-year-old won the 100y breaststroke in 53.75, and the 200y event in 1:56.54. Schoettmer also swept the day’s breaststroke events, finishing the women’s 100y breaststroke in 1:02.59 and the 200y race in 2:16.51.

Sprinting her way to victories in two freestyle events, Geer out-touched her competitors by more than a second in the 50y free. The women also dominated the 100y butterfly event, securing the top four spots.

Senior Sam Rowan earned a victory in the last individual event for the men, the 200y individual medley. He cruised into the wall with a time of 1:49.98.

A win in the 400y freestyle relay capped off the meet as the team of Geer, Pazevic, Lelli and Finnegan finished in 3:21.71.

—Follow Mark Armao @MarkArmao