Arizona MBB dominates Oregon State by 32 points

Nathanial Stenchever

The Arizona women’s basketball team is coached by Adia Barnes, and the Arizona men’s basketball team is coached by Tommy Lloyd.

The Arizona men’s basketball team has extended their winning streak to six games after defeating Oregon State University 84-52 in McKale Center. From the start of this game, it was never close. The Wildcats had a 26 point lead after the first 20 minutes of the contest.

This victory extends Arizona’s winning streak to six games. The Wildcats have now beaten the Beavers in the last seven matchups between the two teams. This also marks the 10th consecutive time that Arizona has defeated Oregon State in Tucson.

Azuolas Tubelis led the Wildcats in scoring with 19 points. He now has scored 84 points in the last three games. Tubelis also added eight rebounds and two steals while only playing 23 minutes.

“I’m never going to put limitations on a player and so just to watch his growth as a person and player and kind of emerge in this system has been cool,” head coach Tommy Lloyd said.

Lloyd played 11 players at least seven minutes during tonight’s game. This was due to the fact that Arizona led by 30 points throughout most of the second half. This was the third game this season that the Wildcats have won a game by 30 points.

Three of the Arizona freshmen players that haven’t seen a ton of minutes during the past month saw an increase in playing time tonight, 12 Wildcats scored during this contest.

“I want to play them all the time, but it’s just not how it goes. I think for our young guys overall as a group it is the best they have performed if you look across the board [at] all four or five young guys,” Lloyd said.

Forward Filip Borovicanin played eight minutes, which is the most he has played in his short collegiate career. Borovicanin also finished the game with four points, his most at Arizona. Center Dylan Anderson also played seven minutes while finishing the game with two points and three rebounds.

“I thought Adama [Bal] was good tonight, Adama is a good player,” Lloyd said. “I thought he had a lot of opportunities early in the year and it was a little bit of a mixed bag of results. He has to put more emphasis on doing all the other things and then the shooting and the offensive stuff will come within the flow of the game when he has his opportunity.”

Sophomore guard Bal, who has been out of Arizona’s regular rotation since the end of December, scored eight points, grabbed two rebounds while making two 3-pointers.

Courtney Ramey finished second on the team in scoring with 11 points. He also made two 3-pointers, had six rebounds and three assists. Pelle Larsson has scored double digits in three out of the last six games. Tonight he also added three rebounds and three assists.

Arizona will now travel to northern California to play the University of California, Berkeley on Thursday night at 9 p.m.

Follow Ryan Wohl on Twitter