Women sweep weight throw

With only one more meet left until the Mountain Pacific Championships, the No. 6 men’s and the unranked women’s Arizona track and field teams needed to make one last pit stop at the South West Classic in Flagstaff in preparation for next weekend.

Although the competition level wasn’t especially high, it was definitely a much needed confidence booster, said Arizona head track and field coach Fred Harvey.

“”It was a real tuneup for next weekend,”” Harvey said.

Some of the most impressive events of the day were the women’s weight throw and shot put competitions, Harvey said.

“”We had two (personal bests),”” he said. “”So in my opinion it doesn’t matter what the level of competition was.””

Led by senior thrower Sara Vigil, the Wildcats dominated the competition by claiming the top three spots.

Vigil won the individual title with a toss of 19.35 meters, while senior thrower Kelli Burton also helped control the competition by finishing second with a personal best throw of 16.46m.

Sophomore thrower Megan Howard added to the mix by claiming third place with a personal best toss of 16.21m.

Burton, who hasn’t competed in the weight throw in more than two years, said she never expected to get a personal best this weekend after her “”shaky start”” warming up.

“”The feeling started to (come) back a little, and I was able to at least keep from killing myself,”” Burton said.

Burton, who also had a personal best in the shot put, really impressed Harvey.

“”I think you are going to see a bigger improvement next weekend,”” Harvey said.

On the running side, the men dominated the 60m hurdles as junior hurdler Dan Cook and senior hurdler Jeff Hunter came in first and second places, respectively, by breaking the eight-second mark.

Cook won the event with a personal best time of 7.91, while Hunter crossed the finish line with a time of 7.94.

Cook said he never expected to win the competition.

“”Jeff is a great athlete,”” Cook said. “”I knew I would have had to have a perfect race to beat him.””

The Wildcats also took the title in the women’s 60m as junior sprinter Nikki Martin won the competition with a time of 7.49.

The teams combined for 12 personal bests and five individual titles on the day.

“”It was a great opportunity for our athletes to improve their performances,”” Harvey said.