Men’s golf places 6th in Wolfpack Classic

The Arizona men’s golf squad got a disappointing performance from All-American Tarquin MacManus and simply couldn’t get anything going en route to a sixth-place finish at the Wolfpack Classic in Reno, Nev. on Monday and Tuesday.

“”You can’t really do much when your number-one guy is in the tank,”” said head coach Rick LaRose. “”MacManus had a very poor tournament. I’m sure he’s very disappointed.””

MacManus, who finished fourth in the Wolfpack Classic last year, carded a final-round 73 and totaled a three-round score of 220 (4-over-par). He shot a final-round 64 in last year’s tournament, but was unable to put any shots together this time.

Picking up the slack for MacManus was the team’s No. 5 golfer, senior John Kostis. After posting a two-round score of 143 (1-under-par), the Arizona native finished the tournament with a final-round 68.

Kostis’ 211 (5-under-par) earned him a seventh-place finish, significantly better than his previous career best of 47th.

“”He really did his job,”” LaRose said. “”I can’t say enough about the effort John put into it. I hope that is a sign of things to come for him, because we certainly need someone like that to step up.””

Kostis was the bright spot in the Arizona lineup, but the team saw solid play from upperclassmen Rich Saferian and Jonathan Khan. Saferian carded a final-round 72 even-par, making his three-round total 215 (1-under-par).

Like Saferian, Khan wasn’t spectacular, but he got the job done to the tune of a three-round 217 (1-over-par). In his first tournament in the lineup, sophomore Kenji Hernandez struggled his way to a 225 (9-over-par).

The team faced difficult weather, with temperatures in the low 40s and winds up to 20 miles per hour, but LaRose would not use that as an excuse for the poor performance.

“”We’ve got to regroup. That wasn’t a very good finish for us, certainly lower than I expected,”” LaRose said.

Women’s golf leaves Chicago in third

A brutal Tuesday final round for the No. 25 Arizona women’s golf team landed it in third place to finish at the Windy City Collegiate Championship in Chicago.

The Wildcats finished the tournament at 21-over-par after a three-round total of 885. The team went into the final round in second place, but a third-round 303 – including 24 bogeys, two double bogeys and only six birdies – dropped them a spot.

The top finisher for the Wildcats was sophomore Isabelle Boineau, whose 219 (3-over-par) tied her for 12th place — her first top-20 finish of the season. Boineau was in ninth place heading into the final round until her five bogeys dropped her three places.

Right behind Boineau was first-time competitor Sherlyn Popelka, who finished the tournament with a final-round 76 (4-over-par), bringing her final score to 220 (4-over-par), good for 15th place.

Head coach Shelly Haywood’s top golfer, Margarita Ramos, blew her chance at a top-10 finish because of an ugly round three. After carding two 72s through two rounds, Ramos finished the tournament with a 79 (7-over-par), and tied for 18th place.

Senior Brittany Benvenuto had the best final round for the Wildcats — and her best of the season — carding a 73 (1-over-par) and bringing her total score to a 230 (14-over-par).

Fellow upperclassman Alejandra Llaneza carded a final round 79 (7-over-par) for a three-round total of 232 (106-over-par).

The tournament belonged to No. 14 Purdue University from opening day. The Boilermakers finished at 860 (4-under-par), 14 strokes ahead of second-place Tulane University.