(2/21/22) The Daily Wildcat’s athlete and team of the week

Megan Ewing

The Arizona gymnastics team competed in a meet in McKale Center on Saturday, Feb. 20, 2021, in Tucson. 

Team of the week: Arizona gymnastics team

The Arizona gymnastics team was the highlight of the week in sports. First, the GymCats had a victory over the University of Utah. In the meet, Arizona finished up with a final score of 196.850. This victory was unique because the Wildcats finished with five career records and three season records throughout the day. Another bright side from the meet was Arizona’s success on the vault. 

The Wildcats saw a season-high score of 49.075. In the all-around event, Malia Hargrove placed third despite a personal career-high score of 39.350. In addition, both Libby Orman and Danielle Nosek posted personal records on the floor. Overall, the GymCats saw many records broken and picked up a memorable season victory over one of the nation’s best, the Utah Utes. 

RELATED: Mathurin and Kriisa help Arizona MBB get back on track with a 20 point win over USC

Athlete of the week: Delaney Schnell

Taking place in a familiar pool, Arizona diver Delaney Schnell is the athlete of the week. Not everyone may know Schnell and her success, but she has been succeeding in the pool throughout her life in Tucson. A 2020 Tokyo Olympic silver medalist and the 2021 Pac-12 Diver of the Year are only a few of many prestigious accomplishments on Schnell’s resume. 

This past week, Schnell repeated as the Pac-12 champion in the 1M, finishing the day with an impressive score of 332.55. The senior diver is a three-time All-American and will look to have success at the next stage shortly. 

Schnell will compete for a National Championship in just a few weeks. Then, Schnell will head to the McAuley Aquatic Center in Atlanta, March 16-19. Not to mention, there will only be 41 divers participating, and Schnell will have the opportunity to bring a National Championship back to her hometown, Tucson. 

Follow Aidan Alperstein on Twitter