University of Arizona hires new athletic director

President Robert Shelton has hired the school’s next athletic director: Greg Byrne of Mississippi State, the school announced Monday. 

Byrne replaces Jim Livengood, who left in December for UNLV after his contract was not renewed. 

The 38-year-old Byrne, who was hired by Mississippi State in 2008, graduated from ASU in 1994. 

The UA will formally announce Byrne’s hiring Wednesday in Tucson. 

Stay with DailyWildcat.com for coverage throughout the week.

***

Statement from Mississippi State President Dr. Mark Keenum:

“”Greg Byrne has informed me that he will leave Mississippi State to accept the athletic director’s job at the University of Arizona. A Wednesday press conference has been scheduled in Tucson to make that announcement. Personally, I am saddened by this news because of the deep affection that Rhonda and I have for Greg and Regina. I am professionally disappointed because of my respect and appreciation for the outstanding job he has done here.

I made every effort to convince Greg to remain in Starkville, including offering a generous package of financial incentives, but as he conveyed to me, his decision was driven by family considerations more than financial compensation. They have an opportunity to be in a place where they have roots and deep connections.

I cannot say enough about what Greg has meant to our athletic program. I began working with Greg even before assuming the presidency at MSU, during the search for a new football coach, and our relationship has always been a close one. The strong foundation he laid has created tremendous momentum and excitement and given MSU fans much to cheer about, with the promise of greater things on the horizon.

I am committed to building on that foundation by hiring an energetic and visionary leader to keep the momentum going. I am confident we will find that highly motivated, enthusiastic individual to lead our great Mississippi State University athletic program. The national search will begin immediately.””