‘Discovery Days’ a celebration of innovation

The Kingsway School
Discovery Days is a weeklong celebration that will begin on Friday, Feb. 16. It will include events such as public lectures, stargazing, family activities, a student scavenger hunt, research presentations and museum events.

In 2016, the University of Arizona ranked No. 38 among both public and private universities in the nation for highest investment in research and development, according to the National Science Foundation. 

In that vein, Research Discovery Days is celebrating research initiatives on campus from Feb. 16 to Feb. 23 with all events open to the public.

“We get so siloed in a particular field that we don’t realize other works on campus,” said Kimberly Andrews Espy, senior vice president for research.

Highlights of Discovery Days include “Explore UA Museums,” where admission for Arizona State Museum, Creative Center for Photography and the UA Museum of Art will be free on Feb. 22. 

The Graduate and Professional Student Council will host the “Student Showcase” of research, with almost 100 projects from “carbon to choreography” on the UA Mall Feb. 21. 

Lectures at the Poetry Center, Steward Observatory, Keating Building, the Center for Creative Photography and Centennial Hall will also be ongoing throughout the week.

“When you live in Tucson, it’s a community where you don’t realize how outstanding the University research is,” Espy said. “Students get access to knowledge faculty is developing before anyone else.”     

A full schedule of specific events is available at https://research.arizona.edu/discovery-days

Espy encouraged students to drop in on events for five to 10 minutes at least. “If you’re an art student, visit the planetarium event, and if you are an astronomy student, go to the open museum day,” she said.

Follow Olivia Jones on Twitter