ASUA primaries narrow the field as student government elections near

ASUA general election voting takes place from March 1 at 8 a.m. to March 2 at 8 a.m. (Courtesy ASUA)

Primary voting for University of Arizona student government positions took place on Wednesday and Thursday last week. The Associated Students of the University of Arizona, the UA’s undergraduate student government, held voting on their website from 8 a.m. on Wednesday morning to 8 p.m. Thursday evening. Results were released Friday morning. 

The purpose of these elections was to narrow the number of candidates running for office, especially for positions like student body president, executive vice president and at-large senator, all of which had several students running. 

In the presidential race, Alyssa Sanchez received the most votes at 34.71% of votes cast, followed by Patricia Yango at 21.19%. These two candidates will advance to the general election, while the other three candidates will be eliminated. 

For Executive Vice President, Edwardo Barron and Ava Ordog will advance to the final round of elections, with 37.55% and 35.08% of the vote respectively. Both candidates for Administrative Vice President, Sara Kandel and Talia Sugden, will continue to the general election. 

More information about all candidates can be found on the ASUA website. On social media, Yango encouraged students to vote and to be informed about candidates’ platforms before they vote. 

Debates will be held for the positions of executive vice president, administrative vice president and study body president on Feb. 28. General election voting begins on March 1, and will also be conducted online. 

Until then, the campaigning process continues and the candidates are hard at work. 

Follow Erika Howlett on Twitter