Police Beat: May 2

Caught her ridin’ dirty

A UA employee witnessed a woman attempting to steal a bicycle on April 26.

At 5:32 a.m., a UA custodial services supervisor called in the theft to the University of Arizona Police Department.

According to the employee, she saw a woman hitting a bike lock with a hammer outside of the Shantz building.

The employee yelled at the woman to stop and warned her that she was calling the police.

Immediately, the woman stopped hitting the lock, got on a white road bike and left the area.

The woman was last seen riding south on Santa Rita Avenue.

Several UAPD units checked the surrounding area but could not find the suspect.

A UAPD officer arrived at the Shantz building and found the bicycle the woman had tried to steal on the rack.

The lock, while still locked and intact, had visible damage that seemed consistent with being struck by a hammer.

The officer left a note with the case number and his phone number on the bicycle in case the owner wanted to file a report with UAPD.

Fight club failure

An argument over marijuana possession resulted in a fight between two Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall roommates on April 25.

At 8:17 p.m., a UAPD officer, upon arrival, met with one of the students and the resident assistant.

According to the student, a previous incident with police had occurred in the room concerning marijuana.

The student’s roommate blamed him for the original incident and because of this, the student packed his belongings to move to another room.

Around 10 minutes prior to police showing up at the hall, the roommate returned to the room from a boxing class at the Student Recreation Center.

When he arrived, he acted “”hyped up,”” causing the student to feel as though the roommate was looking for a fight.

He tried to provoke the student several times, saying, “”So, you want to call me a bitch? Say it to my face.””

Instead of confronting his roommate, the student continued packing his belongings.

While packing, the roommate cornered and struck him in the face, with a closed fist, above his left eye.

He fell backwards, and the roommate continued to hit him in the head and body.

The student tried to fight back but was struck 15 times on the ground.

A non-UA affiliated friend witnessed the entire incident but did not intervene.

After the assualt, the roommate immediately left the room.

After talking to the office, the student’s injuries were photographed and the roommate was contacted.

He said that he started the fight with the student because he got into trouble because of the marijuana the student had in their room.

The roommate claimed that he had only told him to fess up and was attacked by the student; but when he showed the officers the wounds, the officer noted them as faded and old.

The roommate was arrested for assault resulting in minor injury and was transported to Pima County Jail.

Swimfan finds student’s car

A threatening message was left on a female UA student’s windshield on April 25.

At 10:51 p.m., the student met with an officer in the UAPD lobby about the suspicious activity.

She parked her vehicle in the parking lot south of the Science-Engineering Library at approximately

3:45 p.m.

About four hours later, she returned to her car to find a letter, written in blue ink on white college-ruled notebook paper, tucked under her windshield wiper.

“”Bitch, you need to stop talking to my man,”” the letter said. “”I know where you stay … Don’t try me bitch you African slut, get a life and your own dude bitch!!!””

When the student first read the note, she did not think much of it and thought a friend might be playing a prank.

She ripped the letter into several pieces and told her sister about the note.

However, her sister insisted that she report the incident to UAPD.

She kept all the pieces and the ripped letter was placed into UAPD property as evidence.

The student had no idea who would have left the letter because she is not currently involved with anyone. She told police that her last romantic interest was a year prior in Phoenix.

Though she said she did not have any known enemies, she felt concerned because the writer of the letter referenced exactly where she lives and knew her car.

The officer advised the student to check Facebook for any unusual activity or other forms of electronic communication.