Men’s golf falls to 11th-place tie

Arizona junior Creighton Honeck continued to play well in his first varsity tournament.

His team, however, did not.

The No. 64 Arizona men’s golf team dropped four spots on the leaderboard in the second round of the Isleworth Collegiate Invitational yesterday in Orlando, Fla.

The Wildcats shot a 12-over par 300 yesterday and ended the day in a tie for 11th place, after being in a tie for seventh after the first round.

Arizona has a 36-hole tally of 19-over 595. It trails the new tournament leader, No. 57 Texas, by 16 strokes heading into the final round today. No. 5 Oklahoma State is in second place, followed by No. 2 Florida.

Honeck, who was moved up from the junior varsity squad last week, remains the lone bright spot for the Wildcats as he ended his round in the top 10 for the second consecutive day. His second-round tally of 2-over 74 gives him a total score of 1-over 145 for the tournament, good for a ninth-place tie.

Junior Trey Denton is tied for 22nd place with a 3-over 147. Senior Josh Esler is tied for 46th place with a 6-over 150,while junior Travis Esway, Arizona’s low man in its last tournament, is tied for 61st place at 9-over 153.

Freshman Pedro Oriol returned to the course after withdrawing from the opening round and carded a 10-over 82.

The tournament is being played at the Isleworth Country Club, a par 72, 7,544-yard course.

Final round action for the Wildcats begins today with a scheduled tee time of 8:04 a.m. Eastern Standard Time.