ASUA senators tour new Rec Center

Gordon Bates / Arizona Daily Wildcat

The student recreation center is wrapping up construction on the 30,000 square feet of additional gym space.
Gordon Bates
Gordon Bates / Arizona Daily Wildcat The student recreation center is wrapping up construction on the 30,000 square feet of additional gym space.

If you regularly attend the Associated Students of the University of Arizona meetings on Wednesdays, do not be surprised to be sitting in the Ventana Room of the Student Union Memorial Center alone this evening, because the location has changed.

The weekly ASUA senate meeting will not take place in its usual location, but instead in the North Conference Room on the second floor of Student Recreation Center. After a guided tour of the Rec Center’s expansion, the senate will conduct its typical business meeting. 

“”The Rec Center invited the ASUA senate to tour the expansion,”” said ASUA Executive Vice President Emily Fritze. Historically, the senate has visited different locations on campus to host its meetings, she said. “”It will be a nice change of pace and an opportunity to see the new Rec Center.””     

Juliette Moore, the director of Campus Recreation, said orientation leaders, the Student Health Advisory Committee, the Well University committee, various student leaders, the Arizona Student Association and the Parents & Family Association have already toured the facility. Now it’s ASUA’s turn to see the progress. 

“”We take ownership of the building this week, so we thought we’d give them a sneak preview,”” she said. Most of the building has already been finished, but there will be minor changes made and landscaping done before the opening, she said.

The $25 Recreation Center Bond Retirement Fee that students pay as part of their tuition each semester is helping to pay off the mortgage of the currently used facility. In 2011, the mortgage of the current Student Recreation Center will be paid off. After that, the Department of Campus Recreation will begin to pay off the mortgage of the new 55,000 square-foot expansion, which will be open for public use in January of 2010, Moore said.