Police Beat

A student filed a suspicious activities report with police Tuesday after buying a magazine subscription he believed to be fraudulent.

A woman claiming to be selling magazines for Alliance Services Company Inc. gained access to Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall, 922 E. Fifth St., and sold the student a $40 magazine subscription to Maxim, convincing him to withdraw the money from an ATM.

The student looked up the magazine company afterward and discovered that several employees of the company have defrauded customers, leading him to file a report the next day.

When speaking to police, he reported that his friends had seen people selling magazines at other dorms.

Police responded to reports of an altercation and possible assault at the Student Union Memorial Center, 1303 E. University Blvd., at 2:59 p.m. Monday and quickly restored peace.

Police spoke to a boyfriend and girlfriend who had been arguing outside the student union. The girlfriend attempted to leave, but her boyfriend pulled on her backpack to keep her there. She pulled out her cell phone and threatened to call the police, but he snatched it from her hand.

They went into the union near the information desk and gripped each other’s arms. When police arrived, an officer questioned both of them. They both declined to press charges. The woman said she was not hurt, but the man had two small cuts on his arm and hand. They were informed of counseling available at Campus Health Service.

They said they would stay apart until their anger has cooled.

A woman in a white Toyota Corolla was bumped from behind while preparing to turn out of the Second Street Parking Garage, 1340 E. Second St., between 1:20 and 1:30 p.m Monday.

After being hit, she got out of her car to check the damage. She saw the driver behind her, a man in a white sedan, slapping his forehead and “”making broad hand gestures,”” according to reports.

The woman felt intimidated and left as quickly as possible. She filed a police report the next day. An officer who inspected her car saw a marking on her bumper that looked like a license plate with “”Tucson”” indented backward on it, according to reports. There was also a small hole in the bumper.

Police have no suspects or witnesses.

When a man was pulled over for erratic driving at 12:06 a.m. Monday, someone else’s passport was found in his car.

Police observed a car weaving and drifting and pulled it over at East Speedway Boulevard and North Norton Avenue.

The driver said he did not have his license with him and acted oddly, putting a cigarette backward in his mouth for a few minutes. Police did not notice the odor of intoxicants, and the man said he had not been drinking.

A records check revealed the man was an associate of two crack cocaine abusers.

The man agreed to a search of his car, and an officer found another man’s passport. The driver said he did not know who the man was or how the passport had gotten in his car. He said he had not cleaned his car for four months.

A message was left for the owner of the passport.

The driver said the erratic driving was from a bad rear left tire, and his behavior was due to medications and being blind in his left eye. He said he had last been tested by the DMV five years ago. Police advised him they would file a recommendation for another test.

The man was allowed to leave without being cited.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. A complete list of UAPD activity can be found at http://www.uapd.arizona.edu.