Artwork inspires cadets

Left, Cadet Benjamin Rogers, a senior majoring in French, and Dan Larkin, a molecular and cellular biology senior, hang two pieces of aviation art donated to the ROTC Air Force program by Hugh Jordan, a police aid for UAPD, only moments earlier in a ceremony in the South Hall ROTC building on Monday afternoon.

Art represents fragments of history, and for UAPD police aid Hugh Jordan, art is a relic meant to be shared.

Jordan, a retired cop from Michigan and police aid for the University of Arizona Police Department, passed on two historical pieces of “”Aviation Art”” to the UA Air Force ROTC in a donation ceremony Monday afternoon in the South Hall ROTC building.

Jordan said he has had the pictures for the past 19 years and now is the perfect time to pass them on.

“”I’m hoping for every one to get as much joy out of these photographs as I have,”” Jordan said.

Jordan, who is also a police patch collector, said displaying such artifacts is important when it comes to preserving vital history.

“”Art creates interest. When you see something new, it makes you think,”” Jordan said. “”These two pieces made me think for a long time. It’s history. I’ve had these for many years and now it’s time to share.””

The artwork features two airplanes – a F-4 and an A-7. Both of these planes were primarily used throughout the Vietnam era and are no longer flown, he said.

UAPD Officer Andrew Valenzuela attended the donation ceremony and said he was happy to witness the passing on of history.

“”It’s one person taking on the responsibility to historically document these artifacts and pass them on to the ROTC to be put on display properly, to continue to pass on this historic record,”” Valenzuela said. “”Looking at these photos may inspire someone in the ROTC, or someone thinking of pursuing a career in the military, to follow their dreams and pursue their own goals.””

Jordan said the two portraits have been hanging in his office where no one gives them the recognition they deserve. He said they would be put to better use by giving them to the Air Force ROTC to hang them on display so all cadets can see them on a daily basis.

“”The Air Force, like all armed services, has a long, proud heritage which is captured in old artwork,”” said Col. Terry M. Featherston, commander of the Air Force ROTC program.

Featherston, who has portraits of planes covering the wall of his office, believes nothing holds history as well as art does.

“”The way we do this today, the tactics and procedures, are based on the long history of how we got here. It’s important for the cadets to understand what their heritage and history is,”” Featherson said. “”After knowing their history, you have a better understanding of the current generation of planes that we fly, why they are designed the way they are, why they operate the way they do. So the artwork is just a part of that, it represents our history.””

The two donated pieces will now be on display in the South Hall ROTC Building, he said.

“”It’s all about understanding where we come from, why we are the way we are,”” Featherston said. “”This is one more way for people to have a better understanding of our history. We are very grateful that we now have these pieces.””