Men’s tennis cracks the top 20

The Wildcats climbed the rankings yet again this week, from No. 35 to No. 17 in the nation. It is quite a coup for head coach Tad Berkowitz, as it is the highest ranking the Wildcats have achieved during his past three seasons as head coach.

Sophomore Jay Goldman also received a higher ranking in singles play, now No. 51 nationally. Doubles partners Pat Metham and Francois VanderMerwe are ranked No. 55 in doubles.

The Wildcats are also riding a seven-match winning streak into this weekend. They will face No. 70 New Mexico State (8-2) at the Tucson Racquet Club today at 1 p.m.. The Aggies are coming off a 6-1 loss to Texas Tech, which Arizona (9-1) defeated 4-3 at home on Feb. 20.

“”We match up pretty well with Arizona,”” New Mexico head coach Don Ball told New Mexico’s athletic website. “”We are hoping to sneak one out.””

W-tennis returns home to recapture winning ways

It has been a grueling past few weeks for the Arizona women’s tennis team. As they look forward to playing at home again, the Wildcats also hope to recover the ground they lost in their three-match losing streak.

Arizona will face Washington State University today at 1:30 p.m. at the LaNelle Robson Center, followed by the University of Washington tomorrow at noon.

“”I think Washington State is a good match for us,”” said UA head coach Vicky Maes. “”They’ve had very good results, they’re very tough. … They have new kids in there that nobody knows much about, but I see the results, and I know they’re tough. We lost to them last year.””

Arizona is 5-3 on the season, but has not lost a match at home.

The University of Washington is 7-4 on the season and is coming off a 6-1 loss to Stanford. Washington State is 3-9 on the season and No. 58 in ITA rank