Police Beat: March 5

Too much liquor

A UA student was diverted to the Dean of Students Office for underage drinking on Feb. 21.

The University of Arizona Police Department responded after an officer saw a woman and man helping another woman walk down Highland Avenue near Villa del Puente Residence Hall around midnight.

The officer approached the group and asked them if everything was OK. The two people helping the student said that they did not know who the woman was, but they saw her sitting outside of Alpha Phi and did not think it was a good idea to leave her all alone.

The other two left after the officer began to speak to the student. The officer asked the student for identification, noticing that her eyes were extremely bloodshot and watery, and that she was having a hard time speaking. She was also having trouble standing and her breath smelled strongly of intoxicants.

The student said she had been drinking heavily and that she wanted to get back home to Villa del Puente. She told the officer that her roommate would be there to take care of her, but when they arrived her roommate was not there.

The officer noticed that the student had several cuts and bruises on her shoulders and legs from falling on the walk home and decided to contact Tucson Fire Department. When TFD personnel arrived, they concluded that she needed to be transported to the University of Arizona Medical Center for extreme intoxication.

When the student was coherent, she said she had been drinking large amounts of hard liquor but could not recall what kind of liquor, or where she was consuming it.

The student was treated and diverted to the Dean of Students Office.

Sleeping in the elevator

A UA student was transported to UAMC around 3:30 a.m. on Feb. 21 for extreme intoxication.

A UAPD officer responded to Coronado Residence Hall after the resident assistant on duty saw a woman vomiting in her bathroom. The officer spoke to the student’s roommate, who said that she had been ill for over an hour and had no idea where her roommate was earlier that night, but knows she was out with her sorority sisters drinking.

The student’s roommate said that someone had brought her home after they found her passed out in the residence hall elevator. She was worried, so she had contacted UAPD as well as the student’s parents.

The UAPD officer called TFD to evaluate the student because she was incoherent. TFD determined that the student was heavily intoxicated and needed further medical attention, and she was taken to UAMC.

The student was treated and referred to the Dean of Students Office.