Staff Picks

Today’s biggest upset

Remember that night in November when Arizona stomped on the Runnin’ Rebels at McKale Center? I didn’t think so. The Oregon Ducks are quacking at the right time, but there’s just no way I can tolerate those uniforms any longer.

No. 6 UNLV 71, No. 3 Oregon 67

Mike Ritter, staff writer

Remember at the beginning when Butler was all the rage? Well, it looks like the end of its season will be just as shocking when they take down Florida Friday. Granted, the Bulldogs have only two wins over ranked teams this season, but, interestingly enough, so does Florida. My poor bracket.

No. 5 Butler 77, No. 1 Florida 74 OT

Melissa Krueger, assistant sports editor

The last time I picked an upset (Texas over Kansas – I was wrong) I got my first collegiate hate mail letter from a Kansas fan, calling me “”bud,”” yet slamming me for picking the game wrong. The beauty is that it’s my pick, and this time, it’s Vanderbilt over Georgetown. I hope people send more hate mail. It means you’re reading my stuff. Thanks, “”buds.””

No. 6 Vanderbilt 68, No. 2 Georgetown 67 OT

Lance Madden, staff writer

Softball: New Mexico at No. 5 Arizona

It’s a good thing college softball has a mercy rule. Is there any question here? The Wildcats have yet to lose to an unranked team, much less one with a losing record. There’s no need to worry. Could high school sophomore pitcher Kenzie Fowler win this game for Arizona? Probably.

Arizona 10, New Mexico 0 (5 innings)

Mike Ritter, staff writer

Once again, it’s left up to me to pick the upset. I can only think of one reason why Arizona could lose one of these games: It has one pitcher. With Sarah Akamine on the bench, Taryne Mowatt has done it all. I just hope her arm stays intact, let alone gets the win.

New Mexico 10, Arizona 9

This is a series that will see the Wildcats sweep the Lobos with an industrial-sized push broom. UNM is 4-28 since 1978 against Arizona. It will be batting practice for the Cats with bats and a confidence builder for the team after getting tattooed for 11 runs by No. 6 Oklahoma Sunday.

Arizona 13, New Mexico 2

Lance Madden, staff writer

Baseball: Northern Colorado at Arizona

At first sight, this game’s a yawner. But when you see the Wildcats’ struggles against Morehead State, this one suddenly is an interesting matchup. Yeah, Arizona won both games against the Eagles (4-15), but the Bears may impose a bigger problem for the Wildcat bats that have been silent for weeks.

Arizona 5, Northern Colorado 4

Mike Ritter, staff writer

Normally, I’d pick the upset because everyone else has to be a homer. Well, if Preston Guilmet – arguably the best pitcher in the Pac-10 – wasn’t pitching, I would. Now, the offense is a different story. I say Diallo Fon scores every one of the Wildcats’ runs.

Arizona 3, Northern Colorado 0

Compare the records of the Wildcats and the Bears. Arizona has lost fewer games than UNC has won (6 and 7, respectively). Rocket righty Preston Guilmet gets his fifth straight win as C.J. Ziegler makes it rain with his eighth home run of the year. No, really, there’s a 60 percent chance of scattered thunderstorms. He’ll make it rain.

Arizona 11, Northern Colorado 3

Lance Madden, staff writer

Women’s Tennis: No. 22 ASU at No. 36 Arizona

So I received a Facebook invitation to the match tomorrow, and I just might go. Based on the page created by sophomore Danielle Steinberg, the Cats are pumped for this match. There are some pretty harsh words on that invitation. Just goes to show you how big this in-state rivalry really is. I’ll take the Wildcats, because all my other picks were homer picks.

Arizona 4, ASU 3

Mike Ritter, staff writer

You win some, you lose some. For tennis, that’s definitely been the tale of its season. So far this season, the Pac-10 – the team has only two conference wins – has been like what Roger Federer is to Andy Roddick. I don’t see ASU being any different, even though the Cats are playing at their home court.

ASU 5, Arizona 2

Consistency and confidence have not been the forte of Arizona this season. The Wildcats need to find both Cs to outplay ASU. The Sun Devils are 2-4 on the road, with a victory over then-No. 4 North Carolina. An upset would be rarer than if Ron Artest loved his wife, took care of his dog and actually sold some CDs.

ASU 6, Arizona 1

Lance Madden, staff writer