Police Beat: August 26

Screwin’ for a bruisin’

A non-UA affiliated man was arrested outside of the La Aldea graduate housing complex Wednesday for two outstanding warrants from the Tucson Police Department.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer responded to a call from the complex around 9 a.m. regarding a suspicious male who was approaching females and asking them inappropriate questions while trying to grab their hands and kiss them. This was not the first time this had been an issue; the man had an encounter with UAPD in May regarding the same issue.

The UAPD officer found the man sitting on a brick planter outside of the complex and began to approach him. The man identified himself and was verified by the UAPD officer. He then told the officer that he had a screwdriver on him. He said he had no other weapons and allowed the officer to remove the screwdriver from his possession.

After another UAPD officer arrived on the scene, the first officer went to speak with the community director of the Árbol de la Vida Residence Hall who said that she saw the man approach several girls, ask if they were waiting for anyone and try to grab their hands and attempt to kiss them.

The man denied any attempts to make physical contact with any girls on campus when the UAPD officer questioned him. However, as the UAPD officer continued to question him, he saw the man was “overly flirtatious,” repeatedly asking for the officer’s phone number, asking the officer to dinner and professing feelings he believed he had toward the officer. The officer advised him that the type of behavior he had could be very unsettling and unwanted by the random females he was approaching on campus.

After the two outstanding warrants were confirmed by TPD, the man was arrested. Officers later found two folding knives and a box cutter in the man’s pockets. UAPD issued a six-month exclusionary order from all UA property to the man, which he stated he understood.

Beer run

Two UA students were diverted to the Dean of Students Office in reference to a charge of minor in possession after being contacted at the Sigma Chi fraternity house.

A UAPD officer was traveling down First Street toward Vine Avenue and saw four males standing at the west entry gate of the Sigma Chi fraternity house. The officer observed two of the males holding what appeared to be cases of beer. Upon seeing the officer, the males dropped the cases of beer and ran into the fraternity house. After the officer observed the scene from which the students fled, he found four twelve-packs of Miller Fortune beer and three black Sigma Chi shirts that were draped over the beer. About 15 seconds later, the officer observed the second-floor lights of the fraternity house turn off. About five minutes later, the president of the fraternity came outside to speak with the UAPD officer. The president brought the two males who were holding the beer outside to speak with the officer. They claimed that they got the beer after asking a random person at a nearby liquor store if they would purchase it for them since they were underage. The students would not disclose which liquor store or whom they were with at the time.

The two students were given back the fraternity shirts, but UAPD disposed of the beer. They were both diverted to the Dean of Students Office and charged with minor in possession.