UA Jazz Week a star-studded lineup

The UA’s 32nd annual Jazz Week features more concerts and a talent-stacked program this year, including local alumni, faculty and famous soloists from all over the country.

Starting Sunday and continuing through March 13, the week is packed with concerts, master classes and lectures open to music students and the public.

“”All the concerts are going to be high-energy; They’re going to get you tapping your feet,”” said Moisés Paiewonsky, an assistant professor of music at the UA who teaches trombone and directs the UA Studio Jazz Ensemble.

Paiewonsky is playing on Monday night at 7:30 in Crowder Hall for the faculty jazz night with Jimmy Cobb on drums. Cobb played drums with Miles Davis on the album “”Kind of Blue,”” one of the most famous jazz recordings ever made.

Among his other appearances, Paiewonsky is also co-directing the UA Studio Jazz Ensemble performances at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday March 12 with fellow faculty member Jeff Haskell. These concerts feature Chris Potter, a renowned saxophonist within the jazz community, and UA alumna and vocalist Katherine Byrnes.

“”Tenor sax artist Chris Potter is one of the best tenor sax soloists alive,”” Paiewonsky said. “”It will be a new experience for all the students as well as the community.””

Paiewonsky said that getting these kinds of world-class soloists involves a planning process that has been going on since last year’s Jazz Week.

Other notable performances include a Latin Jazz night on March 11 at 7:30 p.m. at Crowder Hall, performed by the group Salsarengue, led by Tony Thomas. The group invites guests to dance salsa during the second half of the concert after a brief lesson from the group.

The final concert, the “”John Denman Memorial Concert,”” is another big performance on the week’s list, featuring soloist Eric Schneider on clarinet and saxophone, a Chicagoan who has performed nationally and abroad.

Byrnes commented on what an opportunity performing at her alma mater was for her as a student and what it means for her as a music professional today.

“”You take for granted the big ensembles, professionalism, materials. … To be able to come back and perform with a big ensemble is just amazing,”” Byrnes said.

Tickets range from free to $9, with more information at the UA School of Music Web site www.music.arizona.edu.