Police Beat

Minor in possession at UA football game
    A student was transported to University Medical Center, where she was cited for minor in possession of alcohol during the UA football game Saturday.

Police responded to a medical assist call from Arizona Stadium. Upon their arrival, they assisted the Southwest Ambulance Company with a girl who was unconscious from what appeared to be heat stroke. After regaining consciousness, the student began vomiting a fluid that smelled strongly of intoxicants. Her friends said she had had “”six or seven shots of alcohol”” before the game.

The woman was transported to UMC, where she was treated for over-intoxication and heatstroke. She was cited on site.

Man assaulted near Manzanita/Mohave
    Police responded to an assault call early Sunday morning.

The victim told police that he had been walking on Second Street on the south side of the Manzanita/Mohave residence hall with his friend, when a group of approximately five males and one female approached them. He said that one of the men, who was Hispanic, approximately 18 years of age, approached him. The Hispanic man asked the student if he had “”ever been speared before.””

The student said the man then punched him in the nose. The student asked the man why he had punched him, and the man started laughing. One of the other men in the group began laughing, before punching the victim again in the nose.

The other man was described as a black, college-aged man approximately 5’6″” in height. Police observed that the student had a laceration on the left side of his nose, as well as on his mouth. His face was also swollen and bruised. The student said that he did not know the subjects and had never seen them before.

Medics arrived at the scene to evaluate the student’s injuries. He was cleared and did not need other medical attention. There are no suspects.

Minor in possession
    A man was taken to UMC for extreme intoxication on Saturday evening.

Police were patrolling the area near South Campus Drive and Fourth Street when they saw a male subject being supported by another man. It was clear that one of the men was unable to stand on his own or care for himself. Police made contact with the students, and the subject who appeared to be intoxicated provided officers with identification that showed him to be 17 years old.

The other man said that he had recognized the student from a residence hall and was trying to help him. According to reports, he had no other association with the student.

Tucson Fire Department was called to check the student’s medical condition, and because of his level of responsiveness, he was transported to UMC. While in the medical facility, it was determined that the student’s blood-alcohol level was .228.Police contacted the student’s parents.

The man was also entered in the UA Diversion Program, referred to the Dean of Students and cited for minor in possession of alcohol.

Woman assaulted at fraternity function
    One student was injured after a fight with another at a fraternity date dash last Saturday night.

UAPD responded to a call in order to assist the Tucson Police Department at the Sigma Kappa Fraternity on First Street after two female students began to fight.

Police made contact with the victim, who said that she had attended the date dash with the fraternity at the Inn Suites on Granada Avenue when she received her injuries.

The female said that she had been on the dance floor when she was pushed from behind by another female. When she turned around, she saw a girl she identified as her ex-boyfriend’s current girlfriend. The student said that she had been harassed by the current girlfriend all summer via text messages and telephone.

After being pushed, the student walked toward the woman to confront her when the woman punched her in the face. The punch landed on her mouth, causing a bloody lip and gums and tooth pain. The woman’s current address was not known by the student, but she did say she lived on campus.

Charges have not yet been pressed.

Man suspected of theft banned from UA
    Police issued a written order for a man not to return to campus after catching him apparently attempting to steal bikes and bike parts on Sunday.

A police aid called the University of Arizona Police Department after seeing a man who appeared to be handling two different bikes, a bike tire, a box and a backpack. Police noted that there had been an increased number of bike thefts in the area. The man was found sitting on a bike while carrying a box and wearing a backpack. Police asked the man to get off the bike and sit down so they could question him. He complied.

Police asked if they could look in his box and backpack and he said yes. In the backpack, there was a power drill with socket attachments, two brass wrenches, tools, two bike chains, plastic wedges used to pry open windows in cars and other miscellaneous tools and locks.

In the box, there were a number of bike tubes, handlebars, shifters and cables. The man was told that he was not under arrest but police did want to question him, so he was read his Miranda rights. He told police that he lived at Speedway Boulevard and Alvernon Way but only comes to campus to park his bike, because it is a high traffic area and is less likely to be stolen. He did not answer police as to why he chooses to park on campus when he lives so far away. He claimed to have found the bike parts from behind the bike store on Sixth Street and Fremont Avenue.

The man informed police that he only had bike tools to help people who needed help with their bikes. Police noted that the man had been contacted by police previously, when he was with another man who is a known thief of bikes and bike parts.

Because police said the man had no legitimate reason to be on campus he was given a UA Exclusionary Order. The man was informed that if he returned to campus, he would be subject to arrest on charges of trespassing.