Sports Briefs

Cheseret wins Pac-10 Track Athlete of the Year award for third time

When Robert Cheseret finally ends his Arizona career, he’s going to have a hard time carrying all his awards home to Kenya.

The Arizona senior distance runner added Pacific 10 Conference Track Athlete of the Year to his impressive collection for the third time in his career, in doing so becoming the first conference athlete to ever earn that distinction.

Cheseret swept the distance races at the Pac-10 Championships, winning the 1,500-meters, 5,000m and 10,000m titles on his way to racking up a conference-record eight Pac-10 titles for his career.

And that’s just track and field, as Cheseret will attempt to win his third straight cross country Pac-10 Athlete of the Year honors when he completes his eligibility in the fall.

Hollowell, Burnett win Pac-10 medals

After winning her first national championship and capping off arguably the best career in Arizona softball history, senior ace Alicia Hollowell joined swimmer Simon Burnett as a Pac-10 Medal winner.

The Pac-10 annually gives one male and one female athlete from each school this honor based on their accomplishments in terms of their success in athletics, leadership and academics.

Hollowell earned second-team All-American honors before dominating the Women’s College World Series, going 5-1 with a 0.33 ERA, while striking out a WCWS record 64 hitters.

Burnett won the 200-yard freestyle at the NCAA Championships, leading Arizona to a second place finish after winning the Pac-10 Championships.

Livengood wins AD of the Year

Arizona athletics director Jim Livengood won the West Region’s Director of the Year award.

Under Livengood’s guidance, the Wildcats are expected to place in the top 10 of the Directors’ Cup standings for the 10th time since Livengood took over in 1994 and also record the school’s 12th straight positive fund balance.

National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics Executive Director Mike Cleary said in a press release the award is important since it recognizes the efforts of ADs on campus and in the community

“”The program brings to light the exceptional jobs done by athletics directors across the country,”” he said.

Hollowell, Lowe to play for USA Softball

Fresh off their national championship, Hollowell and senior center fielder Caitlin Lowe will be among 17 players on the Women’s National Team that will play in the International Softball Federation’s World Championship in China over the summer.

Former Wildcats pitcher Jennie Finch and second baseman Love Jung will also play for the squad, coached by Arizona’s Mike Candrea.

Senior shortstop Kristie Fox and junior catcher Callista Balko will compete for the World University Team.