ASUA impeachment rewrite shelved yet again

Senator Mighdoll discusses various issues as Senator Fritze looks on during ASUAs meeting Tuesday afternoon in the Student Union Memorial Center.
    Senator Mighdoll discusses various issues as Senator Fritze looks on during ASUA’s meeting Tuesday afternoon in the Student Union Memorial Center.

The discussion of ASUA impeachment bylaw reform has been postponed for a third time.

The Associated Students of the University of Arizona senate postponed the discussion again yesterday because they moved the time of their meeting from 6 p.m. on Wednesday to 5 p.m. on Tuesday so that members would be able to attend Lobby Day at the state capitol.

ASUA President Tommy Bruce said after the short, 20-minute senate meeting that they did not want to discuss anything too important since all of the senators were not able to attend the meeting due to the change.

“”My goal is to have (the impeachment bylaws) approved before your terms end,”” executive vice president Jessica Anderson said to the other senators.

Sen. Andre Rubio said they have not made any improvements from last week.

Bruce emphasized the importance of Lobby Day during the meeting and encouraged all senators to go, as Anderson and Rubio were the only members who said they planned to attend the event.

Lobby Day, occurring today in Phoenix, is a chance for representatives from the university to go to the state legislature and talk with them face-to-face about the budget issues facing education. Anderson said it’s very important for students to get involved with this issue.

Bruce said millions of dollars have already been cut from Arizona education in this fiscal year. He encouraged all of the senators to go because he said it would be a lot harder for the legislature to make cuts if they can put faces with the issue.

“”We’re trying to add a personal element,”” Bruce said.

Anderson also encouraged more senators to go, since they had switched the meeting date for this event.

Sen. Jimmy McKenzie also discussed the Spring Break Safety Fair that will be happening Friday afternoon on the UA Mall. Campus Health, UA Police Department, and the dean of students will all be there to talk to students about sunscreen, safe sex, drunk driving and driving when tired. He said there would also be free frozen drinks from Eegee’s.

McKenzie said ‘drowsy driving’ will be a new focus of the fair, since a lot of students drive to spring break locations that are six or eight hours away and then drive home tired at the end of the trip. A lot of accidents and injuries happen because students fall asleep behind the wheel, he said.

Senate candidates for next year’s ASUA senate also sat in the on the meeting to get a feel for what they would be doing if elected.

Bruce talked about the primary elections that are happening this week and encouraged all the candidates to get out and campaign.

“”Make sure you go nonstop all the time,”” he said.

Anderson encouraged the candidates to get out on the Mall and campaign more and Sen. Gabby Ziccarelli reminded them to keep themselves hydrated.

“”I really encourage people to get to know their candidates so they can make an educated vote,”” Bruce said.