Allen disqualified; ASUA declares special election

ASUA Elections Commissioner Michael Colletti decided not to reinstate the candidacy status of James Allen, the top recipient of votes in the ASUA general election that ended March 9.

“”I have deemed Mr. Allen’s actions to be severely detrimental to the election process, and therefore cannot ethically reinstate his candidacy status,”” Colletti wrote in a statement to the Associated Students of the University of Arizona Clerk of the Court. “”Therefore, a special election must occur to keep the integrity of the elections intact.””

Allen’s continued disqualification means that a special election for ASUA president will have to be held in the coming weeks, unless Allen chooses to appeal Colletti’s decision to the ASUA Supreme Court. Allen recently told the Daily Wildcat he would not appeal should Colletti uphold his disqualification. 

Colletti reinstated the candidacy of the other presidential candidate Daniel Hernandez, urging checks to be removed as he did not deem his violations to “”be severely detrimental to the election process.””

“”Finally, the Supreme Court case revealed there certainly are some changes to make for next year,”” Colletti wrote. “”The court raises valid points of contention over what the standard of evidence is, and how we go about investigating complaints we receive. We shall re-evaluate going forward.”” The special election date has been set for Tuesday, April 19.