Icecats prep for ACHA showcase

It is a must win situation for the Icecats when they travel to Ohio for the American Collegiate Hockey Showcase this weekend, at least according to head coach Leo Golembiewski.

“”Those are three games that have to be won,”” Golembiewski said. “”There’s no doubt about that. It’s important that we get it done, so we’ve got to bring our A-game.””

Arizona will play three games in the 18-team tournament in search of its first win of the season. No. 9 ASU swept UA in its season-opening series last week.

Although the 0-2 Icecats lost both games, Golembiewski is hoping to see the same mentality on the ice.

“”I thought all-in-all our performance against Arizona State was certainly admirable,”” he said. “”We played them tough and had had a chance to perhaps win both games but fell short. We showed a lot of fight, a lot of intensity, a lot of spirit and we’re very happy with what we’ve seen so far. The players are upbeat about the season.””

In Ohio, the Icecats will have to deal with more than just their opponents. They will be without defenseman Mike Basist and forward Scotty Willson for the first game. The two were disqualified after a fight against ASU last week.

Additionally, all of their games are in the morning and the three-hour time difference will all be factors. Golembiewski said there’s really no way to adjust their body clocks.

“”Being down two men in the first game doesn’t help,”” Golembiewski said. “”I’m also concerned about the fact that all the games are in the morning.””

The team will arrive in Youngstown, Ohio, later today and take the ice for the first time in nearly a week. The Icecats weren’t able to practice this week because of the lack ice. Golembiewski said it would just be a “”quick skate.””

“”Hopefully that hour on the ice will loosen up our legs a little bit,”” he added.

UA opens the tournament against 2-0 Mercyhurst College on tomorrow at 7:45 a.m. Although the Lakers are currently unranked, they have scored a combined 15 goals while only giving up two. Last season they finished 12-19.

On Saturday morning at 6 a.m., the Icecats will take on No. 25 Rutgers. The Scarlet Knights have gotten off to a slow start at 1-2 and average four goals a game. UA beat them 8-4 in last year’s Showcase.

Arizona’s final game of the tournament on Sunday morning might also be the toughest. The Cats will play No. 23 West Chester University at 5 a.m. The Golden Rams are 2-0, have scored 16 goals overall and given up eight.

Golembiewski isn’t looking past any of the three teams his team will face.

“”I don’t look at rankings but Mercyhurst, Rutgers and West Chester are solid hockey teams,”” he said. “”They’re all going to be tough clubs.””