Students meet their majors at annual fair

Zachary+Vito+%2F+Arizona+Daily+Wildcat%0A%0AFreshman+Madison+Bardsley+visits+the+meet+your+major+fair+in+the+student+union+grand+ballroom.++From+left%2C+advisors+Stephanie+Rollins+and+Mara+Vahratian+provide+Bardsley+with+more+information+about+the+UAs+pre-nursing+major.++
Zachary Vito
Zachary Vito / Arizona Daily Wildcat Freshman Madison Bardsley visits the meet your major fair in the student union grand ballroom. From left, advisors Stephanie Rollins and Mara Vahratian provide Bardsley with more information about the UA’s pre-nursing major.

Choosing your direction in college can be a major ordeal.

The Center for Exploratory Students looked to help ease the decision with its annual “Meet Your Major Fair,” held yesterday in the Student Union Memorial Center Grand Ballroom.

The goal of the fair was to help students find what major best suited them, since some students have only a general idea of what they like to do, said Lecticia Soto-Delgadillo, director of the Center for Exploratory Students.

This is the second year the center grouped majors into pods according to overarching themes. Each pod had a designated color, and as students entered the fair, they received a map of all the pods and their corresponding colors. Attendees also received a pamphlet of possible questions to ask staff, faculty and students working at the pods.

“(The pods) are working well and the participants seem to like it, and the students seem to be able to find at least their interest area and see what majors would correlate with that interest,” Soto-Delgadillo said.

Laura Gummere, an undeclared freshman, said the fair helped her find direction, and that the pods made it easy to locate different majors because you knew which category each major fell into.

Soto-Delgadillo added that students who worked with the center in the past recommended grouping majors under themes to create a more efficient fair.

David Regina, an undeclared freshman, said the fair solidified his interest in architecture and gave him the opportunity to speak with graduate students and a professional architect.

“I learned a lot about my major and what I need to do,” Regina said. “I was really interested in architecture but I didn’t know what I had to do for it, but now I understand all about it. They were very helpful with letting me know how I can start right away.”

Mara Scaliti, an undeclared freshman, said the fair helped her decide to major in Spanish, and recommended that all undeclared students attend the fair in the future.

As students left the fair, they were handed an evaluation form for giving feedback and suggestions for next year’s fair.

“There were a couple different career paths I might’ve chosen and I didn’t know which one I exactly wanted. I got information about all of them, and I think I’m one step closer,” said Mary Martin, a sophomore studying pre-family studies and human development.