Mall Rants

Amber McCoy
Amber McCoy

Mall Rants is a regular feature in the Daily Wildcat, in which students weigh in on current events and issues. This week, columnist Caroline Nachazel went to see President Barack Obama and other speakers at “”Together We Thrive: Tucson and America,”” and asked students why they were attending the memorial service.

“”I just think it is probably a once-in-a-lifetime thing to see Obama, and he’s coming to our school, so that’s pretty special and awesome. It’s definitely a time in history that I will look back on (as) something crucial to be at.””

Miranda Nestor, psychology junior

“”I am basically here because I do feel sorry for the victims. I am from Tucson, and I don’t know anyone who was involved in it, and it does affect me just living in

Tucson. I’m basically here to support them and see Obama. It’s one thing to shoot a congresswoman, especially when that’s your target, but when you are affecting so many people’s lives, that’s a big deal.””

Cleyrissa Robinson, physiology freshman

“”I am here because I would like to hear one of our generation’s best speakers speak on something that’s really important to the city of Tucson and the university. It’s

more important to be here showing support. Tucson is holding the event, so that’s showing support. We’re providing thousands of T-shirts, workers, the facility,

funds, transportation, so I think we are showing all the support we could give for this event.””

Joe Fisher, nutrition sciences junior

“” I think it’s definitely important to be here as a member of the community because a lot of students are from out-of-state, so if we all come together from all different places around our nation that makes a huge difference in Tucson alone. I’m here to show support for the victims and the families, I’m also here to see Obama because it’s a once in a lifetime experience. Like, when will I ever be able to see him again? If you like him or not, it’s Obama, our president, a huge deal and we need to be here to support the families and give them our condolences.””

Amber McCoy, pre-business freshman