Professor makes debut with the Arizona Wind Quintet

The Arizona Wind Quintet will perform for free Monday at 7 p.m. in Holsclaw Hall. The performance will feature songs by August Klughardt, Paul Taffanel and Francis Poulenc.

A small part of the Boston Symphony Orchestra is coming to the UA.

Daniel Katzen will make his debut for the Arizona Wind Quintet playing the horn in the group’s fall concert Monday.

Katzen, a member of the Boston Symphony for the past 25 years, is taking his retirement in Tucson. He is joining the UA staff as an associate horn professor for the School of Music.

“”Two things that I wanted to do with my career was to play for the best orchestra I could get into and then to work at a full-time teaching position at a university,”” Katzen said.

“”I am grateful that these two things have materialized.””

Katzen’s role at the UA includes a spot in the quintet, which includes four other faculty members of the School of Music.

The Arizona Wind Quintet came together in 1975 and performs regularly on campus and around Tucson. The group also makes its way around the community, visiting public school music programs.

Katzen favors his new position because the quintet’s relative lack of contributors allows each member to have a role much more balanced than of someone in the Boston Symphony.

“”Everybody has input on how musical decisions should be made,”” he said.

The quintet also features flutist Brian Luce, oboist Neil Tatman, bassoonist William Dietz and clarinetist Jerry Kirkbride.

Katzen said he believes the instruments in unison create a flattering sound.

“”You get a sound that doesn’t have large dynamic differences, but you get many more different aural colors,”” he said.

The quintet will play pieces by August Klughardt, Paul Taffanel and Francis Poulenc for the concert.

The performance will also feature pianist Tannis Gibson, a UA assistant piano professor and a graduate of the Juilliard School.

Also joining in will be the Arizona Graduate Winds, a new student wind quintet in training.

Monday’s concert is a new beginning for Katzen, one he said he is anticipating.

“”For me, it is bringing the first years of playing the horn right up to my most recent years,”” Katzen said. “”It is very exciting to be starting with the quintet.””

The Arizona Wind Quintet plays Monday at 7 p.m. in Holsclaw Hall, 1017 N. Olive Road, in the School of Music building. The event is free and open to the public.