Police Beat: September 25

Smoking and drinking

Two UA students were referred to the Dean of Students Office for possession of drug-related paraphernalia and minor in possession of alcohol in a residence hall dorm room on Thursday at 10:35 p.m.

Two University of Arizona Police Department officers were called to the residence hall because a strong smell of marijuana was coming from the fourth floor.

When the officers found the room the smell was coming from, they knocked on the door.

The smell of marijuana became even stronger when the door was opened. On a desk, in plain sight, was a marijuana grinder, rolling papers and a plastic bag with what looked to be marijuana stems. About one-third of a liter of rum was sitting on another desk in the room.

Initially, the officers only saw one student in the room. They asked if they could come in to talk to him, and the student agreed. Once the officers were inside, the student’s roommate came out of the bathroom. When the officers asked where the marijuana was, the roommate admitted to flushing it down the toilet.

Both students gave the officers permission to search the room, but they didn’t find anything else.
The students did not say who provided the alcohol or the marijuana.

The rum was emptied out and bottles were thrown away. The drug-related paraphernalia was taken for evidence.

Cabbies gone wild

On Sept. 19 at 7:08 p.m., a taxi driver called UAPD and reported that another taxi driver had assaulted him.

When officers arrived, the driver told them that he had been parked outside a residence hall when the other taxi driver came up to his car and started shouting obscenities at him because he was parked in a handicap space.

A non-UA affiliated witness said she did not hear any obscenities from the driver who approached the parked taxi’s door, and that the driver parked in the handicap area was the first to begin cursing.

The taxi driver in the handicap space got out of his car and shouted to the other driver, “Fuck you! Suck my dick,” according to the witness.

The other driver lost his temper and slapped the driver parked in the handicap space on the cheek.
The assaulted driver then called UAPD, but said he did not want to press charges against the other taxi driver.

Both drivers were given a warning and told that their actions could lead to exclusionary orders.

They were also advised to leave the area for the night because of their behavior.

Movie night

Four UA students were referred to the Dean of Students Office for a code of conduct violation at the Manuel Pacheco Integrated Learning Center on Sept. 18 at 11:02 p.m.

When UAPD officers responded to an alarm in a room in the ILC, they noticed one of the doors to the room was open a bit.

When they walked inside, they found four students watching a TV show on a projector with the lights off.

The students admitted they did not have permission to be in the room, but said that because they were UA students, they thought they had a right to use the equipment and do as they pleased.

They were using the projector to watch a show from one of the students’ laptops and said they had been in the room since 7 p.m., when the room was unlocked.

A video game controller was next to the projector, which led the officers to suspect that the students had planned to hook a game console up to the projector or had already done so.

The officers explained to the students that their logic was incorrect; they had to ask for permission to use the area and equipment because it did not belong to them, and were committing a criminal violation of trespassing.

The students apologized for not knowing. The matter was not pursued criminally, but a code of conduct violation for each student was sent to the Dean of Students Office.

– Follow Micah Montiel @MicahMontiel