Arizona soccer loses 2-0 to Pepperdine

Antonia Muskat

Ella Hatteberg and teammate Angela Baron steal the ball from Pepperdine at the Arizona women’s soccer game on Sunday, Sept. 11 in Tucson, Arizona. The final score was Arizona 0 Pepperdine 2. 

The Arizona soccer team lost at home to No. 10 Pepperdine University 2-0 Sunday afternoon at Murphey Field at Mulcahy Soccer Stadium.

The Wildcats (2-2-2) had a hard time connecting in the final third as they only had three shots while Pepperdine had 19.

Even though the Wildcats only had three shots they were able to put pressure on the Pepperdine defense. Besides the two goals that were scored, Arizona’s defenders were able to force long shots by Pepperdine attackers which resulted in easy saves for senior goalie Hope Hisey.

Hisey finished the match with four saves on the day.

The match was scoreless for the first 55 minutes until a penalty committed by Arizona allowed Pepperdine to have a penalty kick, which they scored on.

Arizona had a chance to score in the 63rd minute when sophomore midfielder Gianna Christiansen got behind the defenders on the right side. Christiansen’s shot got past the goalie for Pepperdine but the ball rolled just right of the goal.

Pepperdine extended their lead in the 81st minute when a header made it past the Wildcats and into the net.

“I think we played actually really well. We’re still putting little pieces together, and it’s definitely all part of a process,” Christiansen said.

The next match for Arizona will complete their three match home stand. They are facing the University of California, Davis Sunday, Sept. 18, at 1 p.m. MST at Murphey Field.

Follow Devin Homer on Twitter