Valentine’s Day on the cheap

Worried about what to do for Valentine’s Day because you’re low on cash? Don’t worry, WildLife won’t tell anyone. Here are some great ideas on how to entertain your mate frugally without looking cheap.

Romance at Tiffany’s film screening & fashion show

Enjoy a newly remastered version of “”Breakfast at Tiffany’s”” and a fashion show hosted by Black Cat Vintage. Entrants can enter to win a Tiffany & Co. “”Return to Tiffany”” heart toggle bracelet. All proceeds from the raffle go to the Hermitage Cat Shelter.

The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd., 795-0844

7 p.m. – 10 p.m. Tickets $8, raffle $2

Sauce Valentine’s Day special

Eat at Sauce for $20 per person and enjoy pizza, salad, dessert and two glasses of select wines. Sauce is part of the family of gourmet Fox restaurants, and with some of the best pizza in town, this meal is a steal.

2990 N. Campbell Ave., 795-0344

11 a.m. – 10 p.m., $20 per person

Picnic, hike

Why not pack a picnic and make a day trip to Mt. Lemmon, Saguaro National Park, or Himmel or Reid parks down the street? You can buy some delicious fresh fruits and vegetables at the Tucson Farmer’s Market at St. Phillip’s Plaza. As a down-to-earth alternative, your special someone will appreciate the thought you put into preparing a meal for them.

Tucson Farmer’s Market, 4380 N. Campbell Ave. 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.

Visit nps.gov for more information on national parks and hiking hours.

Make a card

Paper! Paper! Paper! The age of text messaging has pushed letter-writing into obscurity. Write a heartfelt note using handmade paper and specialty stationery from this boutique on Fort Lowell Road. Take the extra 20 minutes and make a card.

Paper Paper Paper, 3130 E. Fort Lowell Rd., 326-3830

Tuesday – Friday 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m., Saturday 9:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.

Stationery and handmade papers $2-$10

“”Chocolate to Die For”” Chocolate Tasting Fundraiser

Help fundraise to preserve Tucson’s history and enjoy some delicious chocolate on Saturday.

Presidio San Agustín del Tucson, 133 W. Washington St.

$5 for three pieces, $15 for walking tour. Bake sale 11 a.m. – 4 p.m.

Make dinner

Light some candles, put on some music and cook something delicious, gourmet-looking and cheap for Valentine’s Day. Then splurge on movies, dessert or coffee — or all three. Find easy, convenient recipes on allrecipes.com. Making dinner is sure to impress — all your extra effort will be greatly appreciated.

Groceries average $10-$20 for a dinner for two

Buy vintage jewelry or accessories

Consider buying vintage jewelry or a retro scarf or hat at How Sweet It Was Vintage or other boutiques on Fourth Avenue. Vintage gifts are harder to find, but cheaper and more meaningful than that heart bracelet that anyone can find at a jeweler.

419 N. Fourth Ave., 623-9854

Vintage $5-$30

Buy a rare used book

If your lover is the bookish type, head over to The Book Stop and find a book only they’d appreciate. The glass case in this store holds some interesting first editions of various titles along with many rare books. There’s sure to be something unique, and at a good price.

214 N. Fourth Ave., 326-6661

Books $5-$100

— Kellie Mejdrich