Mexican pianist embraces music in the U.S.

Jose Solorzano, a support systems analyst, usually spends his weekdays traversing the Arizona Health Sciences Library.

Solorzano’s weekends consist of focusing on his true passion: the piano.

Born in Agua Prieta, Sonora, Mexico, Solorzano has embraced music since he was 10 years old and realized that he could “”pick up tunes”” by simply listening.

Since then, Solorzano has had the privilege to study with such mentors as Eduardo Corella, Emiliana Zubeldia at the University of Sonora and Nicholas Zumbro at the UA.

“”After (Zubeldia) passed away (in 1987), I was lost,”” Solorzano said. “”That’s when I came (to Tucson).””

Upon arriving in 1992, he became involved with the Oro Valley United Church. Today he is the church’s music ministry director as well as the principal pianist with the Civic Orchestra of Tucson.

“”(OVUC) certainly has supported me all these years,”” Solorzano said. “”If I didn’t have that group of supporters, it would be hard.””

Solorzano performs at OVUC every Sunday, but his upcoming recital at Casas Adobes Congregational Church will be in honor of Mexican Independence Day.

Solorzano explained that his main attraction to the program was the music’s dissent.

Some of the pieces that Solorzano will be performing include works by Alberto Ginastera, Manuel M. Ponce, Jesus Corona, Emiliana de Zubeldia and Isaac Albeniz.

“”These pieces I just love right now,”” Solorzano said.

Solorzano has prepared for the recital for six months and three hours daily.

“”Sometimes that is not even enough,”” Solorzano said.

He has never had to worry about stage fright or nervousness, though.

“”I never had problems, I don’t know why,”” he said. “”If you’re prepared well, you do well.””

Solorzano is also studying at Pima Community College, working on an associate degree of applied science in information technology.

Solorzano noted that there are a lot more music facilities in the States than there are in Mexico.

“”If I had grown up in the U.S., I would have seen early what music can be,”” he said. “”There are so many options just here on campus. If you’re inclined to music, go see a live performance.””

The Mexican Independence Day recital is Sunday at 3 p.m. at Casas Adobes Congregational Church, 6801 N. Oracle Road. Admission is free.