UA softball dominates exhibitions

UA freshman outfielder Karissa Buchanan slaps at a pitch during the Wildcats 4-1 win over Yavapai College Saturday afternoon at Hillenbrand Stadium. Arizona went 2-0 in a doubleheader of exhibition games this weekend as it also beat Eastern Arizona College 3-0 in the night-cap.
    UA freshman outfielder Karissa Buchanan slaps at a pitch during the Wildcats’ 4-1 win over Yavapai College Saturday afternoon at Hillenbrand Stadium. Arizona went 2-0 in a doubleheader of exhibition games this weekend as it also beat Eastern Arizona College 3-0 in the night-cap.

On Saturday the Arizona softball team hosted an exhibition tournament against Yavapai and Eastern Arizona in what proved to be a successful weekend at Hillenbrand Stadium.

Arizona came off a postseason that concluded without a national championship for the first time since 2005, but the Wildcats dominated in the double-header on Saturday, beating Yavapai by a score of 4-1 and Eastern Arizona by a score of 3-0.

In the second game against Eastern Arizona, Arizona’s stellar pitching threw a combined no-hitter.

Starting pitcher Lindsey Sisk delivered a strong six innings of work while junior Sarah Akamine earned the save closing out the seventh.

Freshman catcher Lini Koria hit a two-run home run in the third inning to put the Wildcats on top for good.

In the first game against Yavapai, Arizona’s offense clicked from the beginning. Second baseman Victoria Kemp drove in the first two runs of the game with a single to left field. Outfielder Brittany Lestrapes drove in another run in the third inning with a single.

The fourth run came when freshman Kristen Arriola stole second base, then proceeded to advance two bases on an errant throw by Yavapai’s catcher.

Akamine started the game throwing six innings of shutout ball and striking out four batters. Sisk, a sophomore, closed the game in the seventh inning.

The Wildcats will continue preseason exhibition games when they play in the Arizona Fall Classic on Oct. 10 and Oct. 12 in Tucson.