6 must-see movies this fall

6 must-see movies this fall

Cheer up, downtrodden movie-goer; with the changing of the seasons, your cinematic sadness is coming to an end. After an abysmal summer for movies, in which the best films scored somewhere between a yawn and a solid “meh,” the fall movie slate promises to improve. Buckle up, read on and prepare for the fall movie line up.

“Masterminds” — Sept. 30

Jared Hess,  director of cult classic comedies “Napoleon Dynamite”  and “Nacho Libre,”  teams up with a hilarious cast that includes Zach Galifianakis,  Owen Wilson,  Kristen Wiig  and Kate McKinnon for a comedic heist caper. “Napoleon Dynamite” meets “Ocean’s Eleven”? Who isn’t on board for that?

“Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” — Nov. 18

The first big screen return to the magical world of Harry Potter stars Eddie Redmayne  as wizard Newt Scamander, whose magical misadventures take place in New York City. We can only hope that this return to the Potterverse proves better than “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.”

Doctor Strange” — Nov. 4

To the surprise of absolutely no one, another Marvel movie is coming down the pipe. This time around, Marvel introduces a new element to the comic book universe: MAGIC!, which has got Benedict Cumberbatch,  as the titular Dr. Strange, looking like this:

The trailer gives off Christopher Nolan-esque  vibes and sports a quality cast, which should put it over-the-top  as one of the top hits of this fall.

“Moana” — Nov. 23

A Disney movie with The Rock  is a dream come true. Moana, voiced by newcomer Auli’i Cravalho,  embarks on an adventure with the demi-god Maui.  This Thanksgiving “Moana” will surely take over the box office as family-friendly fare. 

“Loving” — Nov. 4

Jeff Nichols  directs the based-on-a-true-love story recounting of Richard and Mildred Loving,  the couple whose relationship invalidated Virginia’s interracial marriage laws via a case that made it all the way to the U. S. Supreme Court. Based on Nichols’ past works that tugged at the heartstrings (“Take Shelter” and “Mud”) , this film will no doubt be worth the watch.

“La La Land” — Dec. 2

While not on everyone’s radar, this dramedy/musical from “Whiplash”  director Damien Chazelle stars on-screen power couple Ryan Gosling  and Emma Stone.  Many would gladly pay good money to watch the duo do just about anything, so $10 for two hours of singing and dancing should be a steal.

RELATED: ‘Suicide Squad’ only missing plot and characters

Follow Alex Furrier on Twitter