Arizona MBB falls to Stanford by 9 points

Jackie Cabrera

Arizona men’s basketball team  head coach Tommy Lloyd talks to a referee on Jan. 21 in McKale Center. The Wildcats went on to win against UCLA with a score of 58-52.

The Arizona men’s basketball team suffered a loss to Stanford University by a score of 88-79. Arizona was a disaster on the defensive end. The Cardinal shot video game percentages, 61 from the field and 55 from the perimeter.

Courtney Ramey had his best Arizona performance. He knocked down eight threes and totaled 26 points. The Wildcats production on the offensive end was not an issue. The team shot 46 percent from the floor and had 11 turnovers. On the majority of nights, those numbers are enough to win. Stanford may just be Arizona’s kryptonite after playing them undeniably well the past three meetings despite Arizona winning the previous two.

Arizona led by three points at the halfway mark courtesy of Kylan Boswell and Pelle Larsson off the bench. The duo combined for 15 points in the first half and were responsible for filling the void of Azuolas Tubelis.

The star forward was in foul trouble early and was forced to the sideline midway through the half. He picked up two fouls early in the second half and was only on the floor for 17 minutes in total.

Dating to last year, Spencer Jones had his way with the Wildcats. Much of the same occurred this evening, as the forward had 18 points. Oddly enough, all of his points came in the second half. Michael O’Connell had a career day with 22 points. There seemed to be no answer for a duo that should not have caused this type of damage.

The Wildcats will return to McKale Center on Thursday night and will face the University of Utah. Arizona now has a 11-4 conference record and 22-4 overall.

Follow Aidan Alperstein on Twitter