Arizona’s Sheridan Cohen talks her adjustment to college soccer, why she chose the UA and more

Arizonas Sheridan Cohen talks her adjustment to college soccer, why she chose the UA and more
J&L PHOTOGRAPHY

The Arizona soccer team is off to a successful start with three wins in six games. It’s a far cry from 2011, when the Wildcats won just one of 19 games. One of the biggest changes from last season is the addition of freshman defender Sheridan Cohen. A Tucson native and graduate from Catalina Foothills High School, Cohen has played in all six games and has contributed one assist and two shots on goal. Cohen spoke to the Arizona Daily Wildcat about her college transition, her career aspirations, the funniest part about being a Wildcat and more.

DW: How did you get started playing soccer?

Cohen: I started playing soccer when I was about 3-years-old. I played a lot of different sports as a child, but soccer just seemed to be the one that I wanted to stick with.

What other positions did you try before becoming a defender and what led you to playing the position?

When I played recreational soccer I was a forward. When I started playing more competitive soccer, at about 9-years-old, was when I was turned into a defender. My coach played me as a defender and ever since then I have always played defense.

What made you decide to get involved in the Olympic Development Program?

I decided to get involved in ODP to play at a more elite level in soccer. It gave me the opportunity to be coached by great coaches and learn a lot about the game.

Can you describe memorable experiences from ODP?

A memorable experience from ODP was probably at hold over camp in California when some of the girls and I tried to come up with a flash mob dance. It ended up being a complete fail.

What are some memorable experiences from your high school and club soccer careers?

I had great experiences in both club and high school soccer. In club I will always remember winning state and being the first girls team in 19 years from Tucson to win state. High school soccer was so much fun, and I created so many amazing memories over those four years. Winning state three years in a row was a definite highlight.

Why did you choose to come to Arizona?

I chose to come to Arizona because I wanted to be a part of a team that changed something. I wanted to have an impact on the team and have the chance to change the team. I also love the campus and was raised in Tucson, so I have always been a Wildcat fan.

How has your transition been from high school athlete to college athlete?

The transition has actually been better than I expected. The level of play in college is much faster than that of high school, but it doesn’t take long to get used to.

What are your aspirations for the future either career wise or with soccer?

I would like to become some sort of a doctor. Right now I am thinking about becoming a dermatologist or pediatrician, but I am keeping my options open.

What has been the funniest moment so far being part of the Arizona soccer team?

One funny moment was when the coaches and Shannon Heinzler played a prank on the freshmen when we were in Pinetop for camp. We were getting talked to by the coaches, and it was really hot in the bedroom so they opened the door to get air in from outside, and all of a sudden Shannon burst through the door in a full gorilla suit. It caught all of us completely off guard.

What is something interesting that most people wouldn’t know about?

I am really superstitious. When it was state playoffs in high school, every year I had to have the same routine, wear the same headband and bow in my hair, same sports bra, and basically just keep everything the same way, or else I would freak out.