Soccer will play first Pac-10 home games

Tim Glass
Tim Glass / Arizona Daily Wildcat

After a week of trying to move forward after its head coach stepped down, the Arizona soccer team will finally hit the field for its first home games of the Pacific 10 Conference schedule.

Though the Wildcats are amidst some difficult circumstances, co-interim head coach John Galas is ready for the challenge that begins with Washington at 7 p.m. and Washington State on Sunday at 1 p.m., both at Mulcahy Stadium.

“”We’re ready for the challenge, it’s an unfortunate situation but if Coach (Lisa) Oyen and I didn’t embrace the opportunity and jump in with both feet, we’d be doing a disservice to these girls,”” Galas said. “”We’re going up against two very talented teams, and we expect it to be a battle.””

Washington (8-2-2, 0-0-1 Pac-10) and Washington State (8-3-1, 0-0-1 Pac-10) sit fourth and fifth place respectively in the conference standings. Both teams squared off against each other in a game that ended in a 1-1 tie after two 10-minute overtime periods.

“”They had a very competitive game up in Washington, their extremely well coached teams and their record shows that,”” Galas said. “”It’ll be interesting how we respond (today) and on Sunday.””

The Wildcats are currently on a four game losing streak and hope to get in the win column to set the tone for their first Pac-10 home games.

“”There is definitely more pride in conference home games,”” said goalkeeper Devon Wharf. “”Winning a conference home game is one of the best feelings to experience in a season.””

Players are anxious to get on the field after a long week filled with distractions that come with the coaching situation.

“”Emotionally, it’s been draining with everything that been going on,”” Wharf said. “”As far as preparation, everything has been the same. The team still has the level of focus we’ve always had.””

After losing their first two Pac-10 road games both 2-0 last weekend against UCLA and USC, the Wildcats want to prove that they can compete with teams in the conference, and they won’t lie down despite their struggles this season.

“”I think a lot of people underestimate our talent so we need to go out there to play for our program,”” Wharf said. “”We don’t need to worry about what everyone else thinks and just play to the best of our abilities.””