Arizona fans cruise in style from Phoenix

There’s a new, cheap way for fans — including parents — to get to UA home football games.

The Cat Cruiser is a bus with two pick-up locations near Phoenix.

Anyone can ride the Grey Line bus for only $20, said Alyssa Samuelson, UA Phoenix Alumni Chapter’s Cat Cruiser chair.

On average, there are about 80 to 120 people per weekend who take this bus, said Christopher DeSimone, a representative for Grey Line and coordinator for the Cat Cruiser.

The Phoenix bus leaves four hours prior to kickoff of all home football games from the UA Alumni Office at Third Street and Indian School Road. Another bus picks up riders at a new, second location at Casino Arizona at Loop 101 and McKellips Road in Scottsdale, Ariz. a half hour earlier.

The fun doesn’t just start with the bus ride. The Casino Arizona location also hosts a two-hour tailgate before the bus leaves. It’s a private Wildcat tailgate party at the Arizona Patio Lounge for those 21 and over, and includes appetizers and drink specials. Food and drinks are allowed on the bus, but bring your own since there is no in-transit service.

There has only been one occasion where a bus was unable to take passengers to a game, but it was quickly solved, officials said.

“”It rarely happens,”” DeSimone said. “”The last time we cruised out of Phoenix we had one that didn’t start so we combined two buses on one bus. It worked out well.””

Riders arrive in Tucson around two hours later and are taken to the Arizona Stadium for the Fan Fiesta tailgating event.

The bus leaves 30 minutes after the game ends.

Proceeds support the UA Phoenix Alumni Chapter.

The bus departure sites aren’t set in stone and individuals interested in hiring a bus can contact Samuelson, whose information can be found on the UA Parents and Family Program site, uafamily.arizona.edu.

Be sure to reserve your seat ahead of time

by calling Grey Line at 520-622-8811.