Pac-12 Roundup

No. 22 ASU to battle in Illinois

After a botched field goal attempt by Missouri on Saturday, the ASU Sun Devils managed to force overtime before ultimately winning 37-30 against the Tigers at Sun Devil Stadium on Saturday.

Now, for the first time this season, the Devils leave Tempe to take on the University of Illinois Fighting Illini in a contest that matches two 2-0 teams.

“This is our first one on the road. They’re a good football team,” ASU head coach Dennis Erickson said in a conference call Tuesday.

“They’re trying to get where we are trying to get, so it’s going to be really competitive. We’re going to have to play our best.”

Colorado QB Hansen showing true colors

Despite the Buffaloes falling 36-33 to the California Golden Bears last weekend at home, Colorado quarterback Tyler Hansen had a banner day.

The senior threw for 474 yards and three touchdowns without giving up an interception, giving him almost 700 yards throwing and five touchdowns in just two games.

“I felt like this was what he is capable of. I was saying last week that Tyler needs to be Tyler,” head coach Jon Embree said in a conference call. “I think we saw some of that in the second half of the Hawaii game and he kind of picked up from that.

“He’s done a good job. Really he was like that all spring and all fall camp, you know, doing a really good job with the ball and taking what the defense had to give. I expect to see him to continue to improve.”

UCLA set to face No. 23 Texas

The Texas Longhorns are not the same team they were when they went to the 2010 BCS National Championship Game, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t trying their hardest to get back.

UCLA head coach Rick Neuheisel, whose Bruins take on Mack Brown’s Longhorns in Pasadena, Calif., this weekend, is in awe of the athletic prowess of Texas.

“They’re tremendously gifted athletes,” Neuheisel said in a conference call. “These guys look like an absolutely beautiful football team, they run incredibly well, I think it’s true on both sides of the ball. It’s the speed at which they play. They’re very, very aggressive and they’re very, very quick to the ball.”

Dynamic offense is key for USC

Tailback U is starting to do it again, and the USC coaching staff couldn’t be more pleased.

Not only did Matt Barkley come into his element for the USC Trojans’ passing game, running back Marc Tyler is getting done on the ground, as evidenced by his 24 carries for 113 yards and a touchdown on Saturday against Utah.

Robert Woods is also carrying the receiving core on his shoulders, as he’s already hauled in 279 yards and three touchdowns on 25 receptions in the first two games alone.

“Our goal is to be balanced always,” head coach Lane Kiffin said in a conference call. “In the first game they were committed to stopping the run in Minnesota. That opened up the big day for (Woods) and (Barkley). (The Utah) game was kind of the other way around and that opened up the game for (Tyler).”

Rivalry renewed for Utah

After falling to the USC Trojans last weekend, the Utes head to Provo, Utah, to face their in-state rivals, the BYU Cougars.

“I believe it’s the single biggest sporting event in the course of the year (in Utah),” Utah head coach Kyle Whittingham said in a conference call. “(It’s) like any other rivalry, you’re either red or blue, there’s no middle ground, the communities get excited. There’s no need for a coach in a week like this to worry about getting the team up for the game. It takes care of itself.”

For the Utes, a win here is crucial to restore their confidence after the tough USC game.

“(The players are) revved up and ready to go,” Whittingham said. “I’m sure it’s the same down in Provo.”